Shop Concrete Pad With 42" Footing? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-11-2009, 05:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Shop concrete pad with 42" footing?

I am building a woodworking shop in my backyard. I plan to build it 12'x24'. Since it is >180 sq. ft. the city requires 42" footers (10" wide).

I have no alley access and my yard is sloped so I plan to hire a service to pump the contrete. The city is ok with earth form footings. They just need to be 10 inches wide and 42" deep at the perimeter of the slab or supporting the walls.

Could I form up the inside and outside forms for the footing raised out of the ground 10"-12". Then a few days later level out and pack the inside of the footings and pour a 4 inch floor. This way I would have the walls up off the floor several inches and it would allow me to prep my floor prior to pouring. I'm not opposed to pouring both at the same time...I just need some expert advise on how to do it.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
deck

Advertisement

deck99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:07 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,278

Ayuh,... You can do it that way,...
Cost of the Pumping might be the determining factor...

Advertisement

Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:43 PM   #3
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

This is not a DIY job. You seem to have missed many questions.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:59 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Are you sure of the reason for the 42" depth of the foundation? That's what you're talking about, not a footing. The footing is generally poured first and is wider then the foundation wall. The depth is determined by the frost line, not how large the slab is.
Have you gone over this plan with the building dept? When I poured a foundation for my kitchen addition, I needed 3 inspections. The escavation, the footing and the foundation.
I'm just a little confused by the terminology you're using.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:06 AM   #5

The 10" wide 42" deep footings almost sound like column supports - similar to those used for decks/etc... rather than to support a concrete slab.

One question, if you are building a woodworking shop why a concrete floor? Standing on concrete is a lot tougher on my feet/knees/hips than standing on wood... You could make an at grade wood deck supported by individual posts.
plunkinberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:01 AM   #6

Plunk,
That was my original idea. The city is being a PITA about it and saying I will need an engineer's sign off on the plans, etc.

deck
deck99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:32 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,032

Hi deck. I read all your posts since January. Do I understand correctly, a 288 sq.' shop on a sloping lot with 10" thick x42" wide footings, in Nebraska? You need to personally discuss this with the local inspector, for verification. The 42" footing is strange, to all readers, for your project. Does the local B.D. have a web site, what city is it? We all want to help but there is too little information. Wood working is very satisfying, just as building your own shop! Be safe, GBAR in WA, (PS, a line pumper may be a lot less cost than a boom for concrete).

Advertisement

Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote