Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-27-2007, 06:59 PM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

Shoddy Pressure Treated Lumber?

I just had 28 pieces (16 foot each) of pressure treated deck boards delivered, and it looks like it was not propperly treated. There are lots of "bare" spots. When I questioned it, I was told "it has been treated, it's just the way the grain of the wood had absorbed it".

It doesn't seem treated at all in the "bare" areas.

I have included pics. What are your thoughts? Should i rreturn this. I think it will look like crap on my new deck.

Thanks,
Craig

spanky77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 07:40 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Looks to me it was just sprayed with some green paint that came off where it was in contact with other wood.

The wood just looks way too light the have any preservative absorbed.

concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 08:03 PM   #3

wow... That is some ugly wood. I would return it and get a new batch.
robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 08:05 PM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertcdf View Post
...and pronto....
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 08:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertcdf View Post
Originally, the guy said they were going to send out a new shipment, and take this stuff back. Then I was left a message on my answering machine stating what I had mentioned above, that "it has been treated, it's just the way the grain of the wood had absorbed it". And they are not coming to pick it up.

So, you think I have a leg to stand on if I demand it exchanged?
Old 05-27-2007, 09:20 PM   #6

Show the supplyer the pictures. That wood is a disgrace for any dealer to sell it. Don,t use it and demand again that they pick it up and get a refund. They should have never sold you this wood. If they refuse to refund your money, then picket them to show other customers what kind of wood they sell and get an attorney. If you bought by credit card, call the credit company and tell them you are contesting the charge. Send copies of the pictures to the credit card company. You also may be a victim of fraud. Never have I seen pressure treated wood look like that.
rjordan392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 07:56 AM   #7

I'd never buy anything from that supplier again - even if they did replace the lumber.

The fact that nobody on the 'picking crew' caught it. Nobody on the 'delivery crew' caught it, and that they have the gall to say that you don't know what you are talking about without even looking at the lumber and then telling you that you're stuck with it....

Old 05-28-2007, 08:45 AM   #8

If all of that dont work look on the boards to see where the came from(who supplied it to the lumber yard) and send them the photos and tell them whet is going on.I pick up at a lot of mills and see better q/c from them then I do at lumber yard but things still get by.That should never had even been shipped
clasact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 10:37 AM   #9

I just got off the phone with the store that supplied the lumber. He called after I sent an email with the same 2 pictures posted here.
They have agreed to exchange it, although he still claims the blotchyness is due to sap in the wood.

Guess I'll have to wait and see how the next batch looks.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanky77 View Post
I just got off the phone with the store that supplied the lumber. He called after I sent an email with the same 2 pictures posted here.
They have agreed to exchange it, although he still claims the blotchyness is due to sap in the wood.

Guess I'll have to wait and see how the next batch looks.

Sorry, but after 22 years in the industry....I have never seen anything that looks like that passed off as simply 'unsightly' Pressure Treated lumber. I'm sure that there are other contractors on here that will say the same...... Store guy is full of bird feathers.....

(Me: I'd tell them to take it back, get my refund .....and then, order the stock from a competitor...I would later send them a professional business letter telling them why....
....that's just me)

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 05-28-2007 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-28-2007, 12:12 PM   #11
Contractor

I'm with everybody else. It really does look like it was just dipped instead of being pressure treated, the pressure part forces the chemicals deep into the wood and would never leave untouched spots.

As far as sap having anything to do with it, all you have to do is look at the patterns and the grain. What a load of BS! I'd force the supplier into a refund and vow never to to business with them again. They obviously don't know much about wood or treatment processes and lie to try and cover up their ignorance. OR...... they might just be trying to push off some bad stock onto a supposed ignorant DIYer!
Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 01:21 PM   #12
PRO

Oh man .....there's nothing wrong with that .....that's that new Chinese Hardwood flooring.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:56 PM   #13
Long-Time DIYer

I'm not a pro builder, just a long-time DIYer. I used to work for Weyerhaeuser that had a CCA pressure-treating plant at the mill complex where I worked. They are a highly reputable company and that "dipped and shipped" crap would never had left its manufacturing plant, and if it had, a bunch of people would have been instantly fired.
Your lumber obviously didn't even have strips of wood between the lumber to allow proper treatment.
Weyerhaeuser and other top-of-the-line companies have 50-year limited warranty on their p-t wood. I bet that stuff that they sold you wouldn't last two years. It simply isn't pressure-treated.
It is true that the heart (red) wood does not absorb any treatment, but all of the white wood cells do. First, they create a vacuum in the pressure-treating tube (and the white wood cells), then they flood it with chemical, and then they apply high pressure to force the chemical into the white wood.
Some is kiln-dried after treatment (stamped KDAT), but most is allowed to just drip dry in a concreted yard (all excess chemical flows back into a pit for recycling).
P-T lumber that is stamped .40 means that there is 4/10ths of a pound of chemical per cubic foot of wood, for instance. 2.0 would be two pounds of dried chemical per cubic foot of wood. The use of it dictates the level of treatment necessary.
Good Luck!
Mike
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 01:57 PM   #14

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

China gets some of their wood from the U.S. They import and process wood from from the U.S. and Russia. They use little (per capita) in construction compared to the U.S.
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 01:40 PM   #15

That's stained lumber not pressure treated. If you still had a sample of it you could do some damage to the suppliers reputation. That company deserves to be shut down for trying to rip someone off.

He probobly had a truck load of fir 2x that no one wanted.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 05-29-2007 at 03:52 PM. Reason: minor language reference
Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote