Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-26-2007, 05:19 AM   #1

Share |

shelving across a recess/large alcove

I have a recess in my kitchen- approx 6ft across and 3 foot deep. I'd like to build a shelf/cupbaord right across the whole recess at about 7.5 foot height- I have high ceilings.

I don't mind a baton showing below the shelf. I want to create a large storage area above what will be a ind of lowered ceiling.

the other issues are that the walls are old plaster and lathe and can be prone to just crumbling if drilled- so small rawl plugs won't necessarily hold- I've had trouble putting up shelves before! and the alcove is not square, it has another small recess of to one side.

I was thinking of:
- horizontal battoning round the recess walls
- creating a slatted shelf (similar to e.g. bed base/futon base) to sit on top of battening
-hanging plasterboard under the slatting?

however I'm open to suggestions. someone else said to put in the equivalent of an horizontal stud partition- but I presume this was to avoid having battens showing? I don't mind battens showing but I do want to end up with a solid shelf that you cannot see through from below- as there will be a couch underneath.

thanks for any advice
joss
justj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 07:01 AM   #2

shelving across a recess/large alcove

Personally, I'd make a 2x4 frame, and screw it into the wall studs. Then cover it with drywall underneath and on the front, and plywood on the top. Put some warm recessed lights in it while you're at it, or some other cozy light fixture.
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote