Shelf On Rock Wall - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-04-2009, 02:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Shelf on Rock Wall

Shelf on Rock Wall
I have a rock wall floor to ceiling with a fireplace and want to know if it is possible to put a wood or log shelf above the fireplace. Is it possible to cut into the rock/mortar to install the brackets for shelf - does it compromise the rock's stability in any way? Or is it best to not do anything at all?

Advertisement

Karekel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 03:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Shelf on Rock Wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karekel View Post
Shelf on Rock Wall
I have a rock wall floor to ceiling with a fireplace and want to know if it is possible to put a wood or log shelf above the fireplace. Is it possible to cut into the rock/mortar to install the brackets for shelf - does it compromise the rock's stability in any way? Or is it best to not do anything at all?
That would depend on what was used as "rock", Name:  fireplace.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  4.8 KB I installed some small shelving
during the build. also it would depend on the size of rock, if the rock was flat sided like mine you would chisel out and screw in your supports on the mason board, fit your rocks around the shelving, and mortar around the shelves. Usually if the rock is installed on a load bearing wall, the rock does not play a significant roll in support.

Advertisement

fstwrtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:07 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,470

Shelf on Rock Wall

yeah, sure its possible,,, be certain the rock's stable 1st, tho,,, unlikely, w/o actually SEEING the wall, to know how its blt/attached,,, you can but small diamond tipp'd core bits for rods to be inserted in the wall OR you can use carbide-tipp'd bits & hammer in the holes,,, i'd caution you to be VERY careful - if you've not donw this before, having a wall fall down's not pleasant & can ruin your afternoon
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote