Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-09-2009, 11:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Sheetrock Brand "Dust Control" Joint Compound: A Review

Anyone else have any experience with the Sheetrock brand Dust Control Joint Compound? I tried it for the first time this weekend and I have to say the amount of airborne dust was noticeably less, although it wasn't completely "controlled"...some dust migrated a room away, but it didn't make it through out the entire house. However, I wasn't as pleased with the application as I was with the run-of-the-mill, all-purpose joint compounds (or "mud") I've used in the past.

The Dust Control stuff seems to start drying a little sooner so it's not as "workable" for as long as the all-purpose stuff. I even prepped it in the pan with some water, but it still seemed to lose moisture more quickly. Strange because the bucket indicates that you can't sand it for 24 hours. I tested in a spot and found it sandable in most spots within 8 hours, but there were some joints (mainly corners) that were still visibly moist up to 12 hours later.

It was also more susceptible to pulling and dragging on the mud knife as I tried to smooth the joint than the all-purpose stuff. It got to the point where it seemed less stressful to apply a little more liberally with the plan to smooth via sanding. I realize I set myself up for a LOT more labor, but it seemed to be the lesser of two evils.

Any other experiences?

Last edited by ScottieBaseball; 02-09-2009 at 11:37 AM.
ScottieBaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:41 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10
Thumbs down

We recently finished a large room with the Sheetrock brand Dust Control Joint Compound and were very disappointed. Yes, the dust doesn't seem to travel as far, I'll give it that, but the compound also seems to dry much softer than standard joint compound, and we are now discovering cracks along the feather edged seams. My husband installed the drywall and he has a good 20 years experience in both new construction and remodeling, and he's never had this happen before.

We won't be tearing all the drywall back down because it's a large room and we already have hours and hours of work put into it. We'll just have to find a way to disguise the cracks or repair them somehow.

Very, very, upsetting.

bantling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:21 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 256

I used it on my renovation - I am no drywall expert by any stretch, but fwiw, I seem to have a harder time covering the screws (many coats, light sanding, still see some "pop" after priming). Like I said, my drywall skills are not great, but with a bag of sheetrock 90 for the finish coat I seem to get a better result than using just the dust control from tape to finish. Just as much dust with the dust control stuff, although it does seem to fall faster - but maybe that's just my imagination. I find I have to really thin it to get it to a workable state too. Sanding sheetrock 90 vs the dust control stuff seems to leave a better edge too. Again, just a novice but that's my take, fwiw...
rtoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:26 AM   #4
Totally screwed together

Rewards Points: 250

When I tried it for a hallway, I found that my young daughter had an allergic reaction to it. Walking though the hallways with bare feet (she was about 6 then) she started getting a rash all over her body, including the soles of her feet. The rash went away the day after I sealed up the mud with paint.

Just a caution - she was none the worse for wear afterwards.
xxPaulCPxx is offline   Reply With Quote