Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-24-2012, 02:39 PM   #1

Share |

Shed walls rotting from water exposure

I'm trying to work on a large shed that has rotted wood at the bottom of the walls. It's a large shed with a barn style roof. It's sitting in an asphalt parking lot. It seems they have had this problem before because the bottom 2 feet of the walls have been cut out and replaced. A drip edge has been installed at the top of the newly installed section. I suppose this does its job to keep water out of the seem between the new and old wood.

Actually there are 2 sheds there, 1 medium and 1 large, both with the same problem.

It seems to me what's happening is water is running off the roof, splattering on to the asphalt, and getting the bottom of the boards wet. I could replace this section of wood again, but I'm looking to recommend something more permanent. I'm thinking of something like going with all metal somehow at the bottom (replacing all the bottom wood section below the drip edge with some sort of metal sheathing, painted the same redwood color as the shed.) Or else some sort of vinyl solution? Ideas for specific product? The wood sheathing is shaped like vertical slats (I assume 8x4 sheets routed out to look like wood siding places vertically). Something to match that would be perfect, but it's not necessary.

jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:41 PM   #2

Putting up some cheap gutters and downspouts might go a long way toward keeping whatever you use for siding dry.

Thunder Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #3

Hmm, that might be an interesting idea.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote