Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-29-2012, 12:45 PM   #1
retired guy

Share |

shed wall out of plumb

The front wall(probably the back wall) of my 8x12 shed is a good half bubble out of plumb, leaning in. How can I plumb this and keep it from reoccuring? My thought was to brace from the back wall/floor and straighten. Then use cross pieces on the walls to keep it plumb. I built it, but I'm not a carpenter. I can't push from outside/back. I have a fence back there.

igneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:55 AM   #2

shed wall out of plumb

Is it creeping? If not, hey, it's just a shed. If it is, then get it looser and beat the hell out of it with a sledge hammer. If it has nails through the top plate, (no idea how you built it) you may be able to pry the roof up and cut the nails w/ a recip saw; I've done it with a hack saw and with a hack saw BLADE only, too; lots of fun, but it works.

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:52 AM   #3

shed wall out of plumb

Are both front and back out of plumb or only one wall?
What size of shed?

I use some-alongs to pull it straight then put in diagonal braces.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mae-ling For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (06-30-2012)
Old 06-30-2012, 11:31 AM   #4
retired guy

shed wall out of plumb

Shed is 8x12. Door is 2/3 on right of front long wall. Floor is level both directions. Back wall is slightly out of plumb. Front wall is worse. I noticed it because the door does not close tight like it used to. Even moving the jamb doesn't help the door situation. I have collar braces so roof roll is not at fault. Nothing to use for a come along. Would jacking up the back wall help? Thanks for reply.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:18 PM   #5
Civil Engineer

shed wall out of plumb

By collar braces do you mean collar ties? A collar tie is NOT intended to resist wracking, it is intended to equalize uplift pressure on the roof. To resist wall movement, you need joists that span between the walls, neither the rafters nor the collar ties prevent wall movement. You did not state whether your shed has floor (ceiling) joists, frankly if you are missing them you may want to consider pulling the walls plumb, then installing joists to keep the walls in position.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:44 PM   #6
retired guy

shed wall out of plumb

I have 2x4s running along side each of the rafters from front wall to back wall. Is this what you are referring to? If so, the next step is to pull/push/pry the walls into plumb position. That is where I am perplexed. How to do that. Nothing to connect come along. Can't push from the back (fence, not my property). The main help I need right now is righting the building. (did not know it was called "wracking"). Thanks.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:16 PM   #7
Mod

shed wall out of plumb

You can wrack walls easily with a 2x4 a few different ways. If you have sheathing nailed off on the wall their not going to move though.

Kind of hard telling you how to wrack “your shed” without seeing it and the surrounding area. Post some pictures.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:59 PM   #8
retired guy

shed wall out of plumb

Never thought of the 5/8 sheathing on the walls being a deterrent. I will refer back to another poster who said, "it's only a shed."
Old 06-30-2012, 04:59 PM   #9

shed wall out of plumb

Post lots of pics to another site and give us a link otherwise we are just wildly guessing.
Can use comealong, or 2x4 or truck or????? to straighten walls.

Are walls out of plumb the same way?
Old 07-01-2012, 12:38 PM   #10
retired guy

shed wall out of plumb

Can't figure out how to send pics. Just a regular 8x12 that leans forward. How it does with the wall sheathing I don't know. Thanks for all the help.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:42 PM   #11
Civil Engineer

shed wall out of plumb

There are instructions on this website concerning how to post pictures. Without pictures it is hard to visualize your situation.

A few things to consider. You are not going to plumb a wall unless you first disconnect the ceiling joists, unless by luck both walls are out of plumb exactly the same amount and can be plumbed by pulling one wall. The reason is that by plumbing one wall with the joists attached, you will move the opposite wall.

If the wall you are plumbing is parallel to the joists, you can plumb it up using a comealong, or 2x4 lever bars. You need to develop a design for holding the wall in position once it is plumb, this is often done using diagonal bracing. Again, no pictures, hard to say anything more. For an inch or less out of plumb, why bother, its only a shed.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (07-01-2012)
Old 07-01-2012, 08:35 PM   #12
retired guy

shed wall out of plumb

Daniel Holzman: Thank you. I will attempt the pic posting. As for the ceiling joists, they run front to back or perpendicular to the walls I hope to move. The back wall is out slightly less than the front. If it weren't for the door, I'd never notice. I will get this right or it will drive me "plumb crazy."
Old 07-01-2012, 09:10 PM   #13

shed wall out of plumb

Was it built this way? If it has shifted out of plumb you can shift it back to plumb.