Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-08-2009, 10:38 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Shed Style or Truss?

I NEED IDEAS!!!!! I am requesting help on which roof style would be easiest for me to build/use on the porch which I have attached. It is a 31.5 ft x 8 ft porch. I used double 2x10 beams for the front and side and will use the top plate of the wall on the garage side. I notched the top of the double beams and laid them back into the wall with double 2x4's supporting them underneath (inside the walls). I know I'm waiting until the last minute here (rest of the porch is practically completed.

I have a 4/12 pitch on my current roof, which really sucks because if I build the shed style roof, the most I can get out of it is 3/12. I plan on using architectural shingles.

I have quotes for Trusses from a truss manuf co. for approx $500 for gabel style 31.5ft trusses spanning the length of my porch. The problem is I can't visualize how I would tie 2 gables together. Not to mention I will need to join the valley with an acceptable method (again probably 3/12 pitch)

For the shed style roof, I guess I need to know if 2x6 will be ok for the bottom chord and where the supports would need to go?

FYI, I don't need plans in my county to get the permits. It just needs to be built to code (2003 Residential Building Code)
Attached Thumbnails
Shed Style or Truss?-porch1.jpg   Shed Style or Truss?-porch2.jpg  

my5sons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:23 AM   #2

Shed Style or Truss?

anyone?

Old 09-09-2009, 10:50 AM   #3
Newbie Bill

Rewards Points: 500

Shed Style or Truss?

I don't have any input, just a question.

Are you planning on running the trusses the 31.5 foot direction or the 8 foot direction? Either way I see some added work to tie the porch roof into the existing roof on the house and garage.

If the 31.5 foot direction, you will need to have trusses up the roof of the house. Each one getting progressively shorter until you reach the peak of the house. Then you will have a valley on each side and a nightmare along the garage.

If you are going the 8 foot direction, are you thinking you will carry them part way up the roof?

Hopefully we will get the experts opinions here shortly.

A DIY Noob that knows just enough to be dangerous.

Last edited by drtbk4ever; 09-09-2009 at 10:59 AM.
drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:59 AM   #4
Newbie Bill

Shed Style or Truss?

Have you thought of making the porch into a pergola?

Old 09-09-2009, 11:34 AM   #5

Shed Style or Truss?

Thanks Bill, no pergola, I want covered porch.

As for the gable roof, it will span the full 31.5 feet. I am going 16 in on center with the trusses and will have to continue the gable up the existing roof by tieing in a new ridge beam and stick framing off the ridge board to finish the gable. I would need to create a cricket to join the 2 gables, but am unsure how I would do this with the way the garage reverse gable and new gable will meet forming a new valley.

If I do the shed roof, I will place 2x6's perpendicular to the existing roof. (running the 8 foot length)

Last edited by my5sons; 09-09-2009 at 11:38 AM.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:46 AM   #6
Newbie Bill

Shed Style or Truss?

OK, I got it.

I think having that clarified will get some input from the experts.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:47 AM   #7

Shed Style or Truss?

I have attached the rough quote with drawing for the gable trusses. I forgot to tell him that I don't need any overhang on the garage side and I only need 31.5 feet trusses with 18" overhang on 1 side, but before I order them, I will tell him.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MI2000-JOBS-BILLB16.pdf (17.9 KB, 240 views)
Old 09-09-2009, 03:40 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,000

Shed Style or Truss?

I faced something similar with a room addition I did several years ago. The right way to do it is to tie the new roof into the long ridge that is parallel to the porch. So you have new rafters from the ridge to the front edge of teh porch. Carry this all the way down to the ridge line that is perpendicular to the porch. This would be best stick built rather than with trusses. This is major surgury to the house.

An alternative that would be simpler is to make the roof U shaped rather than L shaped when done. Leaving a open space over the doorway area. This eliminates much of the extensive surgery. Use trusses as you have been quoted over the porch, and stick build the tie to the existing roof.

This alternative method is what I did...

Or go with the shed roof...
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:46 PM   #9
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 150

Shed Style or Truss?

I'd keep it simple,going with the shed roof as sheetv recomended.
Probably could have lowered that beam a little to gain pitch.
Of course this would put the end of the overhang below the garage eave and your valley would dump on your stairs so a gutter would be needed.
At the house wall frame up off top plate to support rafters, ledger againts house wall,2x6 ceiling joists from house to beam,leaving some of the beam exposed.

Too bad I didn't catch your post earlier,there is a way the porch floor could have been dropped a step to gain pitch also.

Last edited by oldfrt; 09-09-2009 at 05:52 PM.
oldfrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:21 PM   #10

Shed Style or Truss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
An alternative that would be simpler is to make the roof U shaped rather than L shaped when done. Leaving a open space over the doorway area. This eliminates much of the extensive surgery. Use trusses as you have been quoted over the porch, and stick build the tie to the existing roof.

This alternative method is what I did...

Or go with the shed roof...
I know exactly what you are talking about. That was my original plan, (leaving a space in the doorway) but I didn't like the way I was going to have 2 ceilings (1 above the stairs and then a double 2x10 beam before another opening for the main porch). I can easily move back to this setup, if I just add another double 2x10 beam on the second post (from the garage) This will give me a gable span of about 25.5 feet and then I put a shed roof to join them. I believe I used the term 'cricket', but I guess that is the wrong term.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:40 PM   #11

Shed Style or Truss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfrt View Post
Too bad I didn't catch your post earlier,there is a way the porch floor could have been dropped a step to gain pitch also.
Thanks, I did drop the porch down 3 inches, which put me at the max. I built the porch to the American Forest and Paper Association Wood Deck Construction Guide. I didn't cut corners anywhere!

http://www.awc.org/Publications/DCA/DCA6/DCA6.pdf

As for dropping much further...I don't like that most of the houses where I have seen porch additions, actually look like porch additions. What I mean is that I wanted mine to look like it came with the house. My final ceiling height is 8'4". I didn't want it to feel like a cramped porch and I like that you can see my entire window. I plan on replacing those old windows with updated windows. I wanted an open porch.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:49 PM   #12

Shed Style or Truss?

Why can't I do something similar to this?
Attached Thumbnails
Shed Style or Truss?-11094ge.jpg  
Old 09-09-2009, 07:11 PM   #13
Remodeling Contractor

Shed Style or Truss?

I know what you mean about the windows.
From the angle of the photo,it looked like there was some room to lower the beam.
If your replacing the windows,they could always be lowered easier than raised,but then there's the patching,sheetrock and siding.

I haven't read your other threads but if you could draw everything to scale,it will give you an idea of how it will look.

Your other idea:
I know exactly what you are talking about. That was my original plan, (leaving a space in the doorway) but I didn't like the way I was going to have 2 ceilings (1 above the stairs and then a double 2x10 beam before another opening for the main porch). I can easily move back to this setup, if I just add another double 2x10 beam on the second post (from the garage) This will give me a gable span of about 25.5 feet and then I put a shed roof to join them. I believe I used the term 'cricket', but I guess that is the wrong term.

Could also work without the two ceilings affect.
You could have the trusses designed to fit into a girder beam.
This could be put on your existing top plate and the end of the trusses would sit in hangers flush with the bottom of the beam.
I like this shorter gable idea because it cuts back the size of the new front gable,making it close to the size of the existing gables.
With a 32' gable I'd be afraid of overpowering the front of the house.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:27 PM   #14
Remodeling Contractor

Shed Style or Truss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by my5sons View Post
Why can't I do something similar to this?

I don't know about that,it seems you would be way above your existing house ridge with this approach.

Scale it draw it out,you'll see what I mean.
Too big IMHO.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:51 PM   #15

Shed Style or Truss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfrt View Post
Could also work without the two ceilings affect.
You could have the trusses designed to fit into a girder beam.
This could be put on your existing top plate and the end of the trusses would sit in hangers flush with the bottom of the beam.
I like this shorter gable idea because it cuts back the size of the new front gable,making it close to the size of the existing gables.
With a 32' gable I'd be afraid of overpowering the front of the house.
Wow! Thanks, I would have never known that to be possible. That is a great idea. Thank you, thank you....

Man, I knew there was a reason to post for ideas on this forum!