Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-16-2013, 11:10 AM   #1

Share |

Shed roof pitch question

Hi - I'm new to shed building, and I'm building a 9x12 storage shed with a shed roof. Roof will be metal on top of 5/8 plywood. Rafters are 2x8, spaced 12" oc. Ridge plate and lower plates are 4x6 doug fir. The ridge and lower plates run along the 12foot side of the shed. The shed will be in central WA, where we can get up to 2+ feet of snow (not usually very high water content) at a time on occasion. The shed is positioned so any snow can slough off safely.

My question is regarding roof pitch. Can I get away with a 4/12 pitch (actually 4.25/12)? As the project stands now, I can attain a 5/12 pitch but this would require some deconstruction and reconstruction.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by Kevin P.; 05-17-2013 at 10:36 AM. Reason: clarification
Kevin P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:50 PM   #2

Shed roof pitch question

Welcome to the Forum!

the more the pitch the better for removal of snow ..... can I ask why 9', gonna waste some building materials that way

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:28 PM   #3

Shed roof pitch question

What you have should be fine, especially since you're using metal roofing, which has a low coefficient of friction. But as GB said, the more slope, the better, especially in areas where you get that much snow.
Msradell is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Msradell For This Useful Post:
Kevin P. (05-17-2013)
Old 05-17-2013, 08:07 AM   #4

Shed roof pitch question

Well, 2-5 feet of snow over a whole winter isn't that much unless it all falls in a couple of days. Where I live (Eastern WV) we can get that much or more over a winter, but it's seldom more than 6-8 inches at a time. That said, about three years ago we had 5 feet during a single 3-day storm. We're in a rural mountain area, and were snowed in for 6 days. And believe it or not, though our log home has a 12/12 pitch metal roof, the entire 5 feet of snow stayed on the roof for a couple of days. Closest I've ever been to an avalanche was when it came down all at once.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:19 AM   #5

Shed roof pitch question

[QUOTE can I ask why 9', gonna waste some building materials that way[/QUOTE]

I am putting the shed on a pre-existing 10x12 concrete pad, and wanted to maximize my space without needing a building permit (under 120sq ft).
Old 05-17-2013, 10:21 AM   #6

Shed roof pitch question

ok .... do you know what building code you are under? where are you located?

Old 05-17-2013, 10:23 AM   #7

Shed roof pitch question

We can get up to 2+ feet at at time on occasion, with more likely scenarios being 8-12 inches, several times a week during storm cycles. Our cabin held 30 inches during a 2 week cold snap last year.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:25 AM   #8

Shed roof pitch question

We're in central Washington.

Last edited by Kevin P.; 05-18-2013 at 07:58 AM.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:44 AM   #9

Shed roof pitch question

I ask because the State of Washington uses the 2009 International Residential Code, see link https://fortress.wa.gov/ga/apps/sbcc/Page.aspx?nid=14

here is a link to the 2009 IRC http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/ic...9_1_sec007.htm

Section R105.2 of the 2009 IRC exempts the following from permits:

R105.2 Work exempt from permit. Permits shall not be required for the following. Exemption from permit requirements of this code shall not be deemed to grant authorization for any work to be done in any manner in violation of the provisions of this code or any other laws or ordinances of this jurisdiction.

Building:

1. One-story detached accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, provided the floor area does not exceed 200 square feet (18.58 m2).

2. Fences not over 6 feet (1829 mm) high.

3. Retaining walls that are not over 4 feet (1219 mm) in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge.

4. Water tanks supported directly upon grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons (18 927 L) and the ratio of height to diameter or width does not exceed 2 to 1.

5. Sidewalks and driveways.

6. Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and similar finish work.

7. Prefabricated swimming pools that are less than 24 inches (610 mm) deep.

8. Swings and other playground equipment.

9. Window awnings supported by an exterior wall which do not project more than 54 inches (1372 mm) from the exterior wall and do not require additional support.

10. Decks not exceeding 200 square feet (18.58 m2) in area, that are not more than 30 inches (762 mm) above grade at any point, are not attached to a dwelling and do not serve the exit door required by Section R311.4.

have you discussed this with the building official? it is possible that Washington State allows local modification. Worth a call as every square foot in a shed is important. Even if they require a permit for 120 s.f. might be worth it.

oh a side note, exempting a building permit does not exempt any other permit such as wetlands, board of health, etc.

just my humble thoughts ....

Old 05-17-2013, 11:36 AM   #10

Shed roof pitch question

Thanks for the info, Gary.

Last edited by Kevin P.; 05-18-2013 at 07:59 AM.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:52 AM   #11

Shed roof pitch question

they could be, some states have a state building code but local jurisdictions are allowed to modify it ...... what's the cost of a permit? doubt it should be much

Old 05-17-2013, 04:39 PM   #12
Roofmaster

Shed roof pitch question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin P. View Post
Thanks for the info, Gary. I agree with the info you posted, but I was specifically told by the County building department that I would need a permit for anything 120sq feet or greater. I wonder if Rural Residential codes are different?
Its about money. Did they tell you you needed a permit to brush your teeth? Oh, and I hope you did not use toilet paper without one, thats a definite No No.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:12 PM   #13

Shed roof pitch question

Ok...I'll bite, since it looks like my original post is getting hijacked - and it only took 24 hours!

I posted on this forum to get some advice from folks who don't mind sharing their experience, expertise, and knowledge of Building and Construction - not to get social commentary on why local governments collect fees.

Maybe a real "roofmaster" will have an on-topic answer to my newbie building question?

Last edited by Kevin P.; 05-18-2013 at 07:05 AM. Reason: clarification