Shed Roof Extension - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-17-2013, 11:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Shed Roof Extension

I'm in the planning stages for a 8'x12' shed, and I would like to include a roof extension on the backside for storage of firewood, etc. I have a few questions around this.

The main roof is a gable roof with a 10/12 pitch, using 2x4" rafters 16" o.c. For the extension, I want to keep the 2x4" rafters 16" o.c., and decrease the pitch to maybe 5/12. Those rafters would run from the top of the wall to a beam set on 4x4" or 4x6" posts (post height will depend on roof extension pitch and span, but <8'), rafter span would be between 3' and 4'. I plan to use 2x4" rafter ties (maybe called something else in this situation?) between the beam and a ledger board on the wall. What spacing would I need for these? 16" o.c. seems like overkill, but I don't know.

I would like to only have posts at the corners (12' span for the beam) if possible, though I'm not opposed to breaking that span if it makes more sense. I'm having trouble finding information for this- best I have found is for decking (link, table at top of page 4).

Based on link above, I was thinking I might need triple 2x8" or double 2x12", but I wasn't sure since this is a relatively small roof extension and not a deck. Seems like overkill, but I don't know. Any suggestions?

FWIW, I'm in Indianapolis- not particularly heavy snow loads.

Thanks!

Advertisement

jbindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:13 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 610

Shed Roof Extension

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...electedIndex=8

Advertisement

Old 09-18-2013, 10:04 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 766

Shed Roof Extension

16" OC the same as the shed is probably desirable for several reasons. The 1st place it been made much easier to construct and secondly since this roof will have a lower pitch it will actually need to be stronger for snow load etc.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:30 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Shed Roof Extension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
16" OC the same as the shed is probably desirable for several reasons. The 1st place it been made much easier to construct and secondly since this roof will have a lower pitch it will actually need to be stronger for snow load etc.
Makes sense- thanks. What about the beam itself? Will a double 2x12" work to span 12' between posts set at the corners? Or am I better off breaking the span in the middle? If I do break the span, what size beam do I need?
jbindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:23 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 610

Shed Roof Extension

2, 12's should easily span 12'.

Tags
roof , shed