Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-17-2011, 06:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

A Shed re-furb

Just looking to refurb a large shed in my back yard. I've identified some problems that need to be handled with it.

There are various components of the structure in varying stages of disrepair. I'm considering to start off by rehabilitating the exterior wooden components to a clean and healthy condition. Should I just strip, refinish and repaint? Or replace? These dark brown trim pieces are also in varying stages of damage or rot, and I am considering just removing them and putting up fresh pieces of 1x4? I also need to critter-proof underneath it, and would like some suggestions on that. Lastly, the plywood flooring, at the entrance edge, is sorta damaged and needs to be cleaned up. Can I do this without replacing the plywood sheet? Also, there are soffits on either side of the shed, but no ridge vent. Isn't this a problem?

Here's some pictures of the beast. It's footprint is 8' x 16' in total.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Last edited by Cm1384; 04-17-2011 at 07:09 PM.
Cm1384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:38 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

A Shed re-furb

Some more pictures....

This 100kb is killing me!
Attached Thumbnails
A Shed re-furb-img_1940.jpg  
Attached Images

Cm1384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:48 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

A Shed re-furb

Replace all you've pictured and any relatives in the shadows.
Prime all replacements before you install them, on all sides. Pay particular attention to the plywood edges.
Can't speak to the unseen floor.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:32 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

A Shed re-furb

Trim definitely needs to be replaced. What we did with our church's shed was cut off and remove the bottom 2' of siding (part deteriorating from water/snow) with a chalk line and circular saw. Then dug a 12" trench around the base. We pulled the remaining siding out a bit to create a gap between it and the studs, cut Hardi board roughly 3' wide (8' lengths), and slid it up behind the siding and down into the ground. Hardi board doesn't require maintenance like wood and it should keep critters out from underneath. There are more permanent solutions but budget was the major project driver for the church. I really encouraged gutters to direct water away from the base but others didn't see it as necessary.

As for the ventilation, if you're worried about temp. difference inside and out you can certainly install ridge vent. On my own shed I went the route of adding gable vents, just seemed easier.
moneymgmt is offline   Reply With Quote