Shed Materials List Needed - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-15-2012, 09:35 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Shed materials List Needed

Hello all, wanting to build a shed in my backyard. Want it to be a decent size (8ft height, 9ft wide, 12ft long) what materials do i need for this project?

Advertisement

vicbig74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:41 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 672

If you not even sure how to come up with a materials list it may be time to run out and pick up a book on how to buuld a shed. Most will have some sample plans with cut and materials list.
Any local lumber yard, even Lowes and Home Depot can come up with a material list for you.
If you Google shed plans on the net thousands of web sites come up. Some are even free.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:45 AM   #3

I wont have a problem building it, just wanted to see if someone had done a similar one and knew how much material and the amount they spent on it.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:06 AM   #4

PS Your suggesting building the shed an odd ball size, lumber comes 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, not 9 ft.
You can build it any size you want but your going to have a lot more waste and cutting to do if you go an odd size.

There's hundreds of differant styles, and materials avalible so not sure how someone throwing out a price is going to help much.

A few rules. The sheds needs to be up off the ground at least 6" or the splash back will rot out the siding.

DO not skimp out on the size of the floor joist or thickness of the subflooring.
If the floor is weak the the shed will be useless.
Make sure to use tongued and grove subfloor rated flooring.
Use joist hangers to support the floor joist.

Do not skimp out on the number of supports under it. If the floor sags the doors not going to work right.

Build the roof so it has an over hang.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:09 AM   #5

Yes vertical true about the lumber size. I guess a 10x10 should be perfect for what I need. I've been looking at a few shed plans online but the material list aren't working. Thanx for the tip on wood size.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:51 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 25

I just finished a 8X10. I just winged it. A couple areas I should of done better were measuring and cutting. I'm not in the construction business, so I guess most of us wantabees can't cut a straight line with a circular saw, no matter what. I should of went with 16" OC but wanted to cheap out. The roof trusses were the hardest part for me to get right. My roof has some slight imperfections because of it.
I went to homedepot and walked in the shed with a pencil and paper and started adding up parts and then went online and totaled it that way. If possible buy as much as you can in one trip on your list. I made so many trips to Homedepot because I was doing it phases. Some of my material I had laying around or scored cheap on Craigslist. Some of the material I under estimated, shingles and paint were biggest misses. Some material I under estimated on purpose because the next size up increased my total. In the first picture those two side boards around the doors come up short. Those are 6' boards, but I didn't want to go longer and waste material because of price. I'm sure contractors have a lot of tricks that don't know, but I'm free.
Attached Thumbnails
Shed materials List Needed-sam_0293.jpg   Shed materials List Needed-sam_0294.jpg   Shed materials List Needed-sam_0295.jpg   Shed materials List Needed-sam_0298.jpg  

Last edited by dariusld; 09-15-2012 at 12:13 PM.
dariusld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:45 PM   #7

Nice job dariusld . Ill probably end up going to do the same and take notes on material from one of the sheds they have built
Old 09-15-2012, 02:56 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

You will need to pull a permit so ask your building department about what you are about to do. Where I live, there were different construction and footing requirements depending on the size.

I decided to go with a 12x8 shed because anything above 10x10 meant I had to pour a concrete foundation (impossible location even for a short load due to terrain).

When I was done with my detailed project plan (with permit approval), I went ahead purchased lumber and other stuff and had them delivered for $65 (I would have had to make multiple trips just to get the initial materials).

If you are going to "wing it", plan on making unnecessary frequent trips to a large box store which will ultimately add time and frustration to your building process.

Here is what my shed looks like:

allthumbsdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:05 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,032

nice thumbs!

gambrels are a simple way of getting more headroom

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GBrackins For This Useful Post:
allthumbsdiy (09-16-2012)
Old 09-16-2012, 05:21 PM   #10

Keep somthing in mind with designing a shed.
No one has ever built a shed two big. But thousands if not more have built them to small.
Everybody thinks there going to install shelves, a work bench, store a riding mower, a table saw, weed wackers and garden tools, ECT. in a 10 X 10 shed.
It's like trying to fit a Qt. of Jello in a pint jar.

It takes almost no more effort and very little extra cost to make it bigger.
In fact a 16 X 12 shed would take less cutting and less waste then a 10 X 10.
Plywood is 4 X 8, so you would be wasting 2' of material on each side.
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
allthumbsdiy (09-16-2012)
Old 09-16-2012, 11:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrackins View Post
nice thumbs!

gambrels are a simple way of getting more headroom
I agree.

I chose the gambrel design because in addition to my foot print limitation, I also had a height restriction and I wanted to maximize the storage space.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Keep somthing in mind with designing a shed.
No one has ever built a shed two big. But thousands if not more have built them to small.
Everybody thinks there going to install shelves, a work bench, store a riding mower, a table saw, weed wackers and garden tools, ECT. in a 10 X 10 shed.
It's like trying to fit a Qt. of Jello in a pint jar.

It takes almost no more effort and very little extra cost to make it bigger.
In fact a 16 X 12 shed would take less cutting and less waste then a 10 X 10.
Plywood is 4 X 8, so you would be wasting 2' of material on each side.
I agree with you on going for the larger size if possible as I contemplated on building a 20x20 structure.

With my existing 12x8 shed, with my push lawnmower, backpack leaf blower, power washer, snow blower, weed trimmer and portable power generator, I barely have any space left for anything else!

Circumstances will vary depending on towns but the main reason I stayed below 1000 sq ft was that once I poured a concrete foundation, my shed would have been counted as a permanent structure and thus would have increased my yearly property taxes by about $250.

The funny part about the whole thing is that I can have up to 2 shed structures (say two 10x10 sheds) on skids with no increase in property taxes, so guess what? I will probably end up building a nice gardening shed for my wife and kids
Old 11-16-2012, 12:54 AM   #13

I think it would be best if you buy a DIY one.. easy to assemble and it is durable..

Advertisement

NatalieWitt is offline   Reply With Quote