Shed Gravel Foundation Issue - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-14-2014, 10:15 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Shed gravel foundation issue

Last summer I made a gravel foundation for a new shed using 6x6's filled with gravel. The ground was slightly uneven and thus the front side of the shed had the 6x6 in the ground so it was almost level while the back of the shed had the 6x6 on top of the ground.

Anyway, it seems over the winter the 6x6s that were in the ground got raised up out of the ground (if that even makes sense) and now the shed doors don't open because they don't clear the 6x6 in the front.

My question is: Is there any way to drive these 6x6s back into the ground and secure them there somehow? Or would I be better off lifting the shed up and maybe throwing some sheets of plywood underneath it so raise the shed up high enough to clear the 6x6?

Please provide some advice as I can't seem to come up with any solution that I'm confident will work.

Thanks!

Advertisement

mike719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:20 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,484

w/o knowing your location which you failed to note, it was probably frost heave,,, likely the shed has an inadequate foundation,,, depending on shed size & what's in it, you likely have shovels, bodacious dig crow bars, or a crane in your near future

Advertisement

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
w/o knowing you location, it was probably frost heave,,, likely the shed has an inadequate foundation.
I'm in Buffalo, NY and the winter was very cold. The shed is 16x8 "Lifetime" kit shed and it has various lawn equipment including a ZT mower.

What can I do to fix it without having to start from scratch? Is there anything that can be done to salvage it?

Last edited by mike719; 04-14-2014 at 10:33 AM.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:53 AM   #4

apron or vest store kit ? i'm from binghamton - you got troubles,,, empty the bldg & begin anew,,, find an old-timer & forget those guys in aprons/vests,,, altho maybe they're personally good guys, their stores only care for you til you leave,,, you could build pile footers & lay timbers on them supporting the shed,,, i'd keep it off the ground 6" to allow for frost heave
Old 04-14-2014, 01:13 PM   #5
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,300

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike719 View Post
I'm in Buffalo, NY and the winter was very cold. The shed is 16x8 "Lifetime" kit shed and it has various lawn equipment including a ZT mower.

What can I do to fix it without having to start from scratch? Is there anything that can be done to salvage it?
Ayuh,..... Give it another week or two to lay back down,...

I'm over here on the other end of the Sweetwater Sea from ya, in Watertown,....

The ground's been movin' for a few weeks, 'n it might settle down in a couple more,...

Town, 'n county roads are pretty much Mougle Runs right now,...
Rougher'n 'ell,....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 04:06 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 634

If I understand you, the she'd does not sit ON the ties but inside of them. So just dig out the offending tie, turn it into a four bye six, and put it back. Done and done. Ron
ront02769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 04:10 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 712

Posting a picture would sure help.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ront02769 View Post
If I understand you, the she'd does not sit ON the ties but inside of them. So just dig out the offending tie, turn it into a four bye six, and put it back. Done and done. Ron
Right, the shed sits on the gravel inside of the frame made of 6x6's. Can I just dig out the front 6x6, dig it down a little deeper and put the 6x6 back in? If I do that, won't the gravel all fall over into the cavity and make the situation even worse?

I'll try to post a picture later.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:04 PM   #9
Architect

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike719 View Post
Right, the shed sits on the gravel inside of the frame made of 6x6's. Can I just dig out the front 6x6, dig it down a little deeper and put the 6x6 back in? If I do that, won't the gravel all fall over into the cavity and make the situation even worse?

I'll try to post a picture later.
If you want to do that every year you could. When the ground freezes each year, it is going to cause that 6X6 to jump back up.

Best bet is to remove the offending "gravel stop" 6x6 and come up with a better solution to hold the gravel back. Something secured to the building rather than laying on the ground is probably best.
jcarlilesiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:19 AM   #10

' something secured to the building ' is probably the case now [ you DO mean shed, right ? ] in effect, shed on 6x6's is as you suggest - what good would attaching the shed to the 6x6's do ? you're in chicago - shirley the frost is as strong there as buffalo,,, my thought's getting support from BELOW the frost line rather than floating/lying on the ground,,, i fail to see why attaching the shed to anything else is worth it,,, likely the least expensive installation solution would be trenching to 3' depth & install heat wiring,,, when winter arrives, turn on the juice might be expensive compared to something else, tho

Last edited by stadry; 04-15-2014 at 04:21 AM.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:00 AM   #11
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,306

Expand the gravel pad so the 6x6 curb is far enough from the door that the door will open even if the 6x6 does heave up.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:40 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 634

Simple and easy! Genius! Ron
ront02769 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ront02769 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (04-15-2014)
Old 04-15-2014, 11:24 AM   #13
Architect

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
' something secured to the building ' is probably the case now [ you DO mean shed, right ? ] in effect, shed on 6x6's is as you suggest - what good would attaching the shed to the 6x6's do ? you're in chicago - shirley the frost is as strong there as buffalo,,, my thought's getting support from BELOW the frost line rather than floating/lying on the ground,,, i fail to see why attaching the shed to anything else is worth it,,, likely the least expensive installation solution would be trenching to 3' depth & install heat wiring,,, when winter arrives, turn on the juice might be expensive compared to something else, tho
As I understand it, the 6X6 is embedded in the ground, outside the perimeter walls of the building, simply acting as a gravel stop for the gravel shed floor. The gravel stop itself isn't attached to the building.

This means that the 6X6 moves independently of the building, and in this case heaved in front of the building doors.

In most cases, these sheds are constructed in the building set-back zone, meaning they must remain temporary structures. Constructing a foundation system to the frost line is the best solution, but may not be an option due to zoning requirements.

If the building has an integral gravel stop at the perimeter of the wall, then the heave action will move the entire structure uniformly prevent binding of the doors.
jcarlilesiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:08 PM   #14
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,306

Quote:
Originally Posted by ront02769 View Post
Simple and easy! Genius! Ron

I'm a god---what can I say----

Advertisement

Tags
construction , foundation , gravel , plywood , shed