Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-14-2013, 10:22 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Shed floor question

I plan on building up the floor with a layer of ply on to of the joists, then rigid insulation and finish with another plywood on top.
Question...do I build this "sandwich" before raising the walls or do I put down the first layer of ply, raise the walls and then the insulation and finish ply within the boundaries of the walls.
Thanks

416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:01 AM   #2

Shed floor question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416
I plan on building up the floor with a layer of ply on to of the joists, then rigid insulation and finish with another plywood
Do you plan on heating your shed? Rigid foam can be installed inbetween the joist. Then lay 5/8" or 3/4" T&G ply. If your shed is on dirt, make sure you lay 6mil poly on the ground.

Is there a reason you want to use a foam core floor?

MJ Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:28 AM   #3

Shed floor question

I figured I'd avoid thermal bridging by placing on too of the joists. Maybe a little warmer in the feet.
Yes, I plan to heat the shed in winter.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:48 AM   #4

Shed floor question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416
I figured I'd avoid thermal bridging by placing on too of the joists. Maybe a little warmer in the feet.
I see what your trying to do however, any product will transfer cold/heat. It's the rate of transfer that's important. R-10 transfers faster than R-20. I don't know the R value of wood but its generally acceptable in construction. Log homes for example. It's air movement that speeds up that transfer. You know, like wind chill factors.
Get the R value up in those floors. A foam core floor might have an R value of 8. Whereas you could add more R value with rigid foam between the joist. Remember to add a ground sheet.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:01 PM   #5

Shed floor question

Would the r value increase because of the air gap between the foam (in the joists) and the floor or just because I could get more in there.
Also, just for reference...would you build the layered floor then raise walls in the original scenario? Or just sub floor then walls then rigid and floor top after raising walls.
Thanks.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:45 PM   #6

Shed floor question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416
Would the r value increase because of the air gap between the foam (in the joists) and the floor or just because I could get more in there.
Also, just for reference...would you build the layered floor then raise walls in the original scenario? Or just sub floor then walls then rigid and floor top after raising walls.
Thanks.
You can get more insulation between the joist. 6-10" depending on your joist size. Even 4" is ok. The less air transfer under your floor the better.

I would not place your walls on anything that could move or crush.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:23 PM   #7

Shed floor question

In that case, I guess I'll need some ply cut to fit into the bottoms of the joist openings to keep critters from munching on the insulation?
Thanks again.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:46 PM   #8

Shed floor question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416
In that case, I guess I'll need some ply cut to fit into the bottoms of the joist openings to keep critters from munching on the insulation?
Thanks again.
Well I don't know about your critters but my critters will eat through wood before they ever eat through rigid foam insulation.
The Following User Says Thank You to MJ Force For This Useful Post:
416 (05-14-2013)
Old 05-15-2013, 08:10 AM   #9

Shed floor question

Hmm. Well, that would be ideal if my critters think like yours. Would the rigid foam act as a vapor barrier too? Sorry...I'm still a bit of a newb.
Thanks again.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:33 AM   #10

Shed floor question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416
Would the rigid foam act as a vapor barrier too?
The idea with a vapor barrier is not too prevent the outside moist air from coming in, it's to prevent the warm moist air inside your heated space from penetrating your walls and floors and reaching colder surfaces where that warm moist air will condense into water. Warm air holds more water than cold air.
If the area or void under your shed floors is unheated, likely, I must be allowed to breath to prevent that area from warming up. Two small openings would help prevent this.

How is you floor framing built. Right on the ground or raised slightly?
Old 05-15-2013, 08:54 AM   #11

Shed floor question

Essentially the area under your floor is like a basement or crawl space. To create warm comfortable flooring over a crawl space or slab, you have to heat those areas. Not practical for a shed. However if you insulate the flooring properly, the flooring will take the temperature of the ambient air next to it. Since warm air rises, your ceiling will feel warmer than your floor. If you really need nice warm feet, there are some electric infloor heating methods which work well with different types of flooring. Other than that, your plain ole insulated floor will transfer heat/cold at a rate determined by the insulation R factor and convection.
If your worried about critters, lay down a 6mil poly ground sheet and screen any openings.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:08 AM   #12

Shed floor question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416
Would the rigid foam act as a vapor barrier too? .
I guess I didn't answer you question directly.

There is closed cell and opened cell foam insulation. To act as a vapor barrier, the closed cell rigid foam insulation needs to be sealed along its edges. This can be done with acoustic sealant chaulking as you fit the foam sheets in place between your joist. It's a bit of overkill in my opinion for a shed but hey...I don't know if your storing lawn mowers or gramma's favorite doilies in there.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:36 AM   #13

Shed floor question

It will be raised between 10" and 14".
It will act as a shed for storage (loft) but I also hope to use it as an office and I'm in toronto.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:37 AM   #14

Shed floor question

Great info. Much appreciated.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:50 AM   #15

Shed floor question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416
Great info. Much appreciated.