DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Building & Construction (http://www.diychatroom.com/f19/)
-   -   Shed Dormer Framing and Roofing - Ball Park Estimates (http://www.diychatroom.com/f19/shed-dormer-framing-roofing-ball-park-estimates-192414/)

skobydog65 12-21-2013 01:46 PM

Shed Dormer Framing and Roofing - Ball Park Estimates
 
Hi everyone,

I enjoy working on my own projects but this one is beyond my capabilities.

What I have is a living room with a wall that has large sky glass windows which need to be replaced. Because the wall is on an angle there is also a significant amount of unusable area there.

What I would like to do is have a shed dormer installed for the additional space and windows that actually open/close.

I am handy so I would like someone to only frame it, complete the roof, and complete the exterior wood work (minus staining).

I would then finish the insulation, interior sheet rock, moldings, and window installation. (No electrical work performed).

The house is post and beam if that matters. Any ball park guess on the framing/roofing? I know there are many variables which will effect the overall cost but something close would be helpful. The span is appr 18 feet.

Am I in the 5-10K range which would include all outside wood and roofing? Any thoughts? Thanks


http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps7e6fc7b0.jpg

http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/a...pse10d5ede.jpg

http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/a...psd3b71d9d.jpg

GBrackins 12-21-2013 02:27 PM

more or less, just remember Fenway is a ballpark and so is Yankee Stadium, but there is a big difference in size.

only way to know what it will cost is to obtain estimates from local builders. Prices vary from area to area and don't have a clue where you are located.

Good luck!

Davejss 12-21-2013 02:34 PM

I'd love to help but there are still ads covering half of your post. I guess whoever runs this site isn't going to make it ipad friendly.

747 12-21-2013 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davejss (Post 1281199)
I'd love to help but there are still ads covering half of your post. I guess whoever runs this site isn't going to make it ipad friendly.

That ....es me off to. EDPM flat roofing.

To the original poster. Nobody can really answer without being on the site and checking structure. Ballpark. I personally would 7-10k. If not more.

skobydog65 12-21-2013 06:38 PM

Alright, here's a different design which I think would be much less costly.

As you can see in the first picture there are two posts holding the main beam. Behind that area is space that I currently cannot utilize well. You can't stand in that area so there is very little I can do with it except use it as storage which I don't want.

I believe I could do something different that would be much cheaper.

1) Create an insulated a wall along the beam as shown in the pictures. The room would be a bit smaller but I wouldn't lose much functional space.

2) Take out the skylights and what little roof there is.

3) The area would now be outside so I would have weatherize that as a flat roof.

4) Add a railing for safety

Now the area that was once inside is outside and would be a seasonal sitting area. The wall that was created would have windows to see the outside.

Is there anything wrong with this design? Would it work or not? It seems like this would be much less costly, am I correct? What do guys think?

http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps3d956f28.jpg

http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps9ab61447.jpg

http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps3c5c5b5b.jpg

skobydog65 12-21-2013 10:17 PM

Here's another pic. I think this could be done for significantly less money. Plus the structural integrity would not be compromised.

What do you guys think?

http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/a...psc241d1d6.jpg

eandjsdad 12-22-2013 09:41 AM

I don't think the ideas are getting better on this one. The biggest structural unknown is whether the roof system is trussed or cut. It makes a big difference. Get a contractor out, and have them look at it. Then discuss options / costs

sixeightten 12-22-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eandjsdad (Post 1281482)
I don't think the ideas are getting better on this one. The biggest structural unknown is whether the roof system is trussed or cut. It makes a big difference. Get a contractor out, and have them look at it. Then discuss options / costs

The spot where the skylights are is obviously not trussed. Any of your plans could be made to work. I don't see this all getting completed for 10k though.

eandjsdad 12-22-2013 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixeightten (Post 1281561)
The spot where the skylights are is obviously not trussed.

No, but the roof area he's cutting into above for the first shed dormer design may be. Too many maybes - I agree his budget seems light going into this.

sixeightten 12-22-2013 01:22 PM

He wouldn't need to cut into that area. Whatever beam is holding the existing roof up could remain.

skobydog65 12-22-2013 01:53 PM

It's a post and beam construction, no truss. The living room has a cathedral ceiling that goes straight up to a second floor loft area.

I included an example of an "inverted?" shed dormer (not sure if that's the correct terminology).

Can anyone tell by looking at the earlier pictures of my living room if those structures between the skylights are load bearing (not the two vertical posts but the roof framing between the windows?

Also, this design seems to require less material. Any guesses on if the labor would be less? If so, would it be a large percentage in savings or minimal?


Even though it's difficult to come up with an estimate I appreciate everyone's responses. It's also making me think a bit outside the box. Thanks



http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/23...da70bd57ce.jpg


Looking up from window area to second floor.

http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/a...psd62746cb.jpg

AndyWRS 12-22-2013 02:01 PM

I like the idea of the deck and if its in the budget by all means go that route.

If the bids you get prove to be out of the budget, think about leaving the skylights in place and just going about your idea of the interior wall. You could always address the deck later when $ is available.

I would think your above the 7-10k if your trying to get it all done.

oh'mike 12-22-2013 02:21 PM

May I make a suggestion,before you call a contractor?

Get a set of plans drawn up---

Without plans you can not get any pricing--only hand waving and guesses.

Contractors are not architects or designers----some firms are 'design/build' companies--but you place yourself in an awkward position if you like the design but don't want them to build it---they own the plans.

What you are proposing is an addition---although small---but still has all the permits and such as a larger one----

skobydog65 12-22-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyWRS (Post 1281586)
I like the idea of the deck and if its in the budget by all means go that route.

If the bids you get prove to be out of the budget, think about leaving the skylights in place and just going about your idea of the interior wall. You could always address the deck later when $ is available.

I would think your above the 7-10k if your trying to get it all done.

The interior wall would be easy and fairly affordable BUT if the structual integrity of the framework between the glass is an issue it may blow the budget.

If that was the case I'd think about just replacing the glass. What I don't like though is the glass is fixed.

As much as I'd like to have access to the outside, if it becomes too costly then it wouldn't be worth it to me to build the wall. :wink:

Quote:

Originally Posted by oh'mike (Post 1281591)
May I make a suggestion,before you call a contractor?

Get a set of plans drawn up---

Without plans you can not get any pricing--only hand waving and guesses.

Contractors are not architects or designers----some firms are 'design/build' companies--but you place yourself in an awkward position if you like the design but don't want them to build it---they own the plans.

What you are proposing is an addition---although small---but still has all the permits and such as a larger one----

Thanks for the tip on getting plans drawn up. Would a contractor be able to tell me if the structural integrity be compromised or would it require an architect?

I have a number of options, I'm just trying to find one that makes sense with money spent.

Thanks again

Gymschu 12-22-2013 04:23 PM

http://www.diychatroom.com/f2/how-mu...s-here-127914/


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:37 AM.