Sheathing/siding Around Conduit - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-20-2009, 12:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Sheathing/siding around conduit

EDIT: I spoke with my friend (ex siding contractor) about this and he recommends to either put sheet metal under the conduit, spray paint the sheet metal and conduit and bump J-Channel around it or to build a sheetmetal box hiding the entire thing. If anyone has any suggestions/comments feel free to add

I am residing my garage with vinyl. I'm pulling off all the wood cladding, adding OSB sheathing (currently has no sheathing under cladding), then housewrap, then vinyl siding.

I'm not sure how to go about the sheathing and trimming around the metal electrical conduit, pictures below. The main problem is that a foot of the conduit is ~1/4" from the cladding, then bends away near the bottom. It looks like I would need to either bend the conduit out of the way in order tuck the sheathing + siding under it or remove the conduit out of the way. Any thoughts?

EDIT: I spoke with my friend (ex siding contractor) about this and he recommends to either put sheet metal under the conduit, spray paint the sheet metal and conduit and bump J-Channel around it or to build a sheetmetal box hiding the entire thing. If anyone has any suggestions/comments feel free to add

Advertisement

Last edited by destroyer427; 10-20-2009 at 02:25 PM.
destroyer427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 06:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,038

Sheathing/siding around conduit

I would turn off power, cut the wire or disconnect at closest J-box, pull wire outside, remove inside box, add pipe or couplings, or adapters or threaded nipples the wall thickness, install after siding through 1" hole in new vinyl with a water-tight adapter.
Be safe, Gary

Advertisement