Sheathing Height/placement On Wall Studs - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-21-2009, 08:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 258

Sheathing height/placement on wall studs

The framing consists of a sole plate and double top plate with 92 5/8" studs. The sheathing/siding is normal 4x8 sheets. Is there a proper height I'm supposed to set it at. I was just going to follow the height of the old siding, but it is getting inspected. Therefore, I want to make sure I do it properly.

Advertisement

bluefitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 03:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,274

The optimum condition for blocking air infiltration is when you can use 9' sheathing all the way down over the rim joist.

If you go with 8' sheathing then place the bottom edge flush with the bottom of the lower wall plate. The top will overlap the seam between the double top plate by about 1/2".

Edit: If your sheathing is also the siding or your siding is then you do the same thing. The 4x8 panels will be 1" shorter than the stud wall height so you want that "shortage" to be above the soffit so it is not exposed.

Advertisement

Last edited by jogr; 06-22-2009 at 03:30 PM.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:19 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,062

The siding should be 6" above the ground, if concrete is over the ground, you may get by with less.

The bottom of siding should be 3/4"-1*1/4" below the sill plate. This gives a drip edge, and covers the gap at the sill/concrete. Caulk said gap before siding. Otherwise water will wick into the building at the gap.

If you install siding top even with top plates joint, it works very well. It gives you 1-1/8---1-1/4", down. Put a filler of waste siding at the gap above, before you install your soffit trim-1x4, over it.
Be safe, G
Gary in WA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:42 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 320

With 8' panels what do you do to cover the rim joist? Would you cut a narrow strip of sheathing to cover that area?
benjamincall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 02:27 PM   #5
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,478

If you have to go with 8’ panels you would then add Z metal on top of that and continue up with your next sheet. The problem is the next sheet won’t break on a plate or rim so would have to block the studs so you have continues perimeter nailing.

9’ sheets are really the way to go on the first floor then 8’ will work above that, assuming the building is only 2 story.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:25 PM   #6

I'm having a hard time conceptualizing the use of the Z channel between the sheathing panels. I was hoping I could avoid putting in the blocking.

I won't be putting sheathing on the above grade portion of the CMU walk-out basement, but I'll still have to cover up the rim joist.

I wish I had 9' panels, but my supply house had 8' Zip System panels.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:07 PM   #7
Mod

You need the Z metal flashing for two reasons, 1 it gives any water the may get behind the siding from above a place to escape and 2 it protects the top edge of the ply and the joint from the weather and delaminating. In fact you should hold the top sheet ¼” off the flashing so water can escape.

If you don’t block for nailing you’ll look up in a year (or less) and see a wavy mess.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 05-12-2010 at 05:13 PM.
kwikfishron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
You need the Z metal flashing for two reasons, 1 it gives any water the may get behind the siding from above a place to escape and 2 it protects the top edge of the ply and the joint from the weather and delaminating. In fact you should hold the top sheet ¼” off the flashing so water can escape.
In my case, wouldn't the use of the Zip System tape and a rain screen eliminate the need for the Z flashing?

I was really hoping I could nail to the bottom of the top plate and just put a filler piece over the rim joist.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:42 PM   #9
Mod

I can honestly say, I know nothing about the “Zip Tape System”.

I just know what works for me.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:08 PM   #10

Quote:
I can honestly say, I know nothing about the “Zip Tape System”.

I just know what works for me.
The Zip System is a coated sheathing that eliminates the need for a separate WRB. You tape the seams with a proprietary tape. Since I'm a slow-paced DIY guy, I appreciate not having to worry about tearing up Tyvek or having it whip around in the wind.

http://www.zipsystem.com/
Old 05-12-2010, 08:58 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,062

It is still osb and a water resistive barrier similar to a house wrap. I would rather spend money on real plywood and real felt paper (30#). Think twice creating a water resistive barrier using taped seams....... especially with osb underneath: http://www.coastalcontractor.net/cgi...ticle.pl?id=14 http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=...GKM_FjuKp8QM-g

http://bct.nrc.umass.edu/index.php/p...d-and-plywood/

Be safe, Gary
Old 05-12-2010, 09:18 PM   #12
Mod

I have to say I’m always skeptical of “new systems” they have failed us in the past but what I just read on yours, the sales pitch sounds great.

Ask me again in ten years.

I’m “assuming” your sheet siding is T-111 a plywood product. The Zip system new sheathing with tape and no need for felt still doesn’t still doesn’t mean the plywood siding doesn’t need full perimeter nailing or protection on the exposed ends.

If you want to add a strip to cover the rim so you don’t have to block that’s up to you. It’s just that full sheets IMO look better.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 05-12-2010 at 09:28 PM.
kwikfishron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:22 AM   #13

Quote:
I have to say I’m always skeptical of “new systems” they have failed us in the past but what I just read on yours, the sales pitch sounds great.

Ask me again in ten years.

I’m “assuming” your sheet siding is T-111 a plywood product. The Zip system new sheathing with tape and no need for felt still doesn’t still doesn’t mean the plywood siding doesn’t need full perimeter nailing or protection on the exposed ends.

If you want to add a strip to cover the rim so you don’t have to block that’s up to you. It’s just that full sheets IMO look better.
This product from Huber has been around for only three years, but I was a sucker for the wind-driven rain tests. The preliminary feedback I've read from contractors who have been using the product over the past several years is all positive. I probably won't find out if I've made a bad choice, since we're moving within the next ten years.

I guess I should have clarified that I'm using either fiber cement lap siding and fiber cement shingles over a rainscreen. The strip to cover the rim joist would be sheathing, not siding.

Last edited by benjamincall; 05-13-2010 at 07:40 AM.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:56 AM   #14
Mod

Thanks for the clarification. Yes you can cover the rim with a strip.

I’d be trying to get it all covered up as soon as you can.

Advertisement