Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2011, 10:24 AM   #1
Lost..

Share |

Sheathing H-clips - When to use?

I had figured in to use h-clips for my sheathing on the roof of a project I am working on. I'm not sure where these actually need to be used in a roof deck. I will have my rafters on 2' centers and I'll be using 5/8 OSB for decking. From what I understand they are only used under unsupported edges but I may be wrong..

I don't see having unsupported edges though if everything will end up on a rafter. There should be no free hanging edges.

Can anybody clarify this for me?

J S Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:43 AM   #2

Clips are designed to be placed in between two rafters to minimize the span, in other words they are meant to almost serve as an additional rafter.There should be no need for clips with 19/32 OSB @ 24 O.C for standard roof application unless you are working on a flat roof.

See attached span rating table

SteelToes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:47 AM   #3

most dont require on 5/8 with 2' span but I always used as its cheap insurance to eliminate warpage in the open span
Old 01-24-2011, 10:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpolk View Post
most dont require on 5/8 with 2' span but I always used as its cheap insurance to eliminate warpage in the open span
Agree, it is a good idea to use clips with CDX plywood , no need to be used with OSB in my opinion being that veneers are alternated and virtually there is no warpage.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:29 AM   #5

With 5/8 you dont need H clips. What is th slope? With a low slope deck you can use T&G below a torch on membrane. If it is a 4-12 slope or greater pass on the 5/8 and go 1/2" with H clips to save some money and 1/2 a log from the veneer mill.
masterofall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:36 AM   #6

Clips are designed to be placed in between two rafters to minimize the span, in other words they are meant to almost serve as an additional rafter.

I hope I'm not stepping on anybodys steel toes but the H-clip does not alter the span it ties the two sheets together mid span and helps to distribute the load.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterofall View Post
Clips are designed to be placed in between two rafters to minimize the span, in other words they are meant to almost serve as an additional rafter.

I hope I'm not stepping on anybodys steel toes but the H-clip does not alter the span it ties the two sheets together mid span and helps to distribute the load.
Hey no you are not stepping on my toes , i was just trying to simplify for the OP so he can picture the placement , you are right clips do not alter the span ( i meant to say minimize the span of the sheathing not the structure).
Old 01-24-2011, 01:23 PM   #8
Lost..

The roof is a 6/12. The only reason I am using 5/8 decking is because I don't want sagging in between the rafters since they are on 2' centers.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:35 PM   #9

It appears you are in Alabama. No snow loads? I'd use anything to help OSB in case it ever gets wet.

http://www.strongtie.com/products/co.../PSCL-PSCA.asp

Gary

Last edited by Gary in WA; 01-24-2011 at 03:46 PM. Reason: forgot the link
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:47 PM   #10
Lost..

It is rare we ever see snow, and it usually isn't enough to amount to anything.

Anyway, for the price they would be cheap insurance against warpage, so I guess I'll use them.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:52 PM   #11

They do give you the required 1/8" gap on the edges, just remember to gap the ends breaking on the rafters as well; http://osbguide.tecotested.com/pdfs/en/el812.pdf

Gary
Old 01-24-2011, 03:53 PM   #12
Lost..

Thanks. I was aware that there needed to be a gap, but didn't even think about the h-clips providing that gap. I'll just go ahead and use them.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:08 PM   #13

J S I'm in Canada with lots of snow and never used more than 1/2" with H-clips on a two foot span. Low slope roofs with torch on or tar and gravel I've gone heaver, up to 3/4 T&G