DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Sheathing H-clips - When to use?

61K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  HotRodx10 
#1 ·
I had figured in to use h-clips for my sheathing on the roof of a project I am working on. I'm not sure where these actually need to be used in a roof deck. I will have my rafters on 2' centers and I'll be using 5/8 OSB for decking. From what I understand they are only used under unsupported edges but I may be wrong..

I don't see having unsupported edges though if everything will end up on a rafter. There should be no free hanging edges.

Can anybody clarify this for me?

#2 ·
plywood clips

Clips are designed to be placed in between two rafters to minimize the span, in other words they are meant to almost serve as an additional rafter.There should be no need for clips with 19/32 OSB @ 24 O.C for standard roof application unless you are working on a flat roof.

See attached span rating table

#16 ·
plywood clips

Clips are designed to be placed in between two rafters to minimize the span, in other words they are meant to almost serve as an additional rafter.There should be no need for clips with 19/32 OSB @ 24 O.C for standard roof application unless you are working on a flat roof.

See attached span rating table
No, they are not an "additional" rafter and serve no primary structural purpose. They act as a spacer to keep plywood from butting with no room for expansion, and act to keep two adjacent pieces of plywood in the same plane which helps for foot traffic during construction, upflift movement over time, which may protect the underlayment.

#6 ·
Clips are designed to be placed in between two rafters to minimize the span, in other words they are meant to almost serve as an additional rafter.

I hope I'm not stepping on anybodys steel toes but the H-clip does not alter the span it ties the two sheets together mid span and helps to distribute the load.

#9 · (Edited)
#11 ·
#14 ·
Help! I am building a pole barn with a metal roof. I had plywood put on early spring but didn't have the funds to buy the metal sheets for the roofing so the plywood has gotten a little bleached. Some of the edges are a little warped. I. Planning on nailing the curled edged down and them applying roofing felt over the top before putting the metal sheets down. Is that ok to do. I will go under the plywood and add some 2x4 between the joist so there is extra wood to attach the metal sheets to is that acceptable

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.