Sheathing Cutouts -- Best Tool For The Job? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-11-2009, 01:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 27

sheathing cutouts -- best tool for the job?

I am building a backyard shed. There will be a few windows, and I am building doors from the siding cutout pieces also. I am using 4x8 sheets of LP smartside (3/8" similar to osb sheathing).

I need to cut out the windows and doors which will be framed by 2x4's. What's the best way to do this? I have a circular saw and sabre saw but I think with those it will be hard to trim right along the framing.

Searching around I've seen people suggest using a router and a flush trim bit. This would make it easy to follow the framing, but am I asking too much of my (cheap) router to cut a bunch of 3/8" siding?

Thanks for any advice!

-R

Advertisement

flamtap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:58 PM   #2
HandyMan Engineer

Rewards Points: 25

I've always used a skill saw. My dad showed me this trick: Layout you window on the inside drill a hole in each corner and then use a chalk line on the outside and work away with the skill saw. You could use a sawzall but I find that wearks havoc on your fastners.

Hopefully you can still get inside with no windows or doors.

Advertisement

sendres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 03:11 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendres View Post
Hopefully you can still get inside with no windows or doors.
Ha ha. I have thought about that, and I'm hoping to avoid it!
flamtap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:32 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Drill the corners of the opening with a small drill bit from the inside and then just connect the dots on the outside. Your circular saw will work fine, just set the depth to 1/2" or so and use a chisel on the corners.

A router would work but that isn't how it is done by framers. The circular saw works just fine.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote