Shakey Deck - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-05-2008, 08:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Shakey Deck

Ok, not sure if I spelled that right But we have a wooden deck that sways just slightly when someone walks on the outside of it - if you walk closer to the house it doesn't - last summer my husband replaced all the floorboards, railings, etc. because the deck is old - the posts are cemented into the ground below - we've had contractors tells us that the deck is sound, just needs a support underneath - I don't really want to pay someone to do what my husband can if that's all that it takes - but was wondering how to support the underneath and stop the movement.

Thanks!

Advertisement

awillaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Shakey Deck

What kind of movement are you feeling? Is the deck bouncing up and down, or is it swaying from side to side?

Advertisement

jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:16 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Shakey Deck

Thanks for the reply Jerry - it sways (slightly) from side to side... I'm hoping that's the less expensive answer
awillaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:25 PM   #4

Shakey Deck

You may need to add some diagonal bracing similar to what is in this picture: http://www.decks.com/article358.aspx
Have someone walk heavily on the deck and see if you can notice any movement between the posts and the support beams. You may also need to block between the joists to cut down on lateral movement.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 10:03 PM   #5
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Shakey Deck

thats one way.
you could also try this.
find the middle of the outside girder that supports the floor joists and make a mark. then snap a caulk line from that mark to the outside edge of the ledger board that is bolted to the house. same on the opposite side. then cut and install 2x4's nailed or screwed ( two each in each joist) to the bottom of the joists make sure your cut angles are fairly tight. secure to the header and the ledger board. that shoud tighten it up.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote