Shade Sail Structure - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-22-2009, 01:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Shade Sail structure

Hi I propose to erect a 5metre X 5 metre square Shade sail. To provide an interesting shaped sail I presume the 2 diagonally opposite posts will be of different heights. How much difference in height is necessary. Anyone know of a website showing post heights?

Advertisement

lemuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:33 AM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Shade Sail structure

http://www.wholesaleshade.com.au/diy.htm

DM

Advertisement

Old 01-22-2009, 05:14 PM   #3

Shade Sail structure

Thanks Dangermouse. As I said I have a 5 X 5 sail. Any suggestions how much height difference for the attachment points? Also as I intend using 2 X 200mm turnbuckles. Therefore 5metre sail plus turnbuckle equals 5.200 x 5.200 post centres at the ground. With the posts angled at approx 250 outwards at the top, this would give a 500 mm tension. Would the sail stretch this much? I intend using 100mm X 4mm wall galv pipe.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:20 PM   #4
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Shade Sail structure

did it come with directions? instructions? specs? what the heck is a mm?
i'd go at least a foot or so difference for effect.
seriously... it should stretch, but can't you make the posts adjustable?
then it wouldn't be a problem at all.

DM
Old 01-22-2009, 07:47 PM   #5

Shade Sail structure

sorry for the measurement but Kiwi's can only count to 10 as they only have 10 fingers hence the metric size. OK. 5.000m equals about 16feet. 200mm turnbuckle equals 8 inches 250mm offset equals 10inches. Therefore 16feet plus 8" (plus the offset of 10"each post (the posts leaning outward) to stretch the fabric. Would this be too much? or would I need a turnbuckle on each post. If I need a turnbuckle on each post will 10" be enough as each turnbuckle would use up 8" leaving hardly any stretch of the fabric. The instructions say to allow 10% of the sail measurement to accommodate anchoring devices, but nothing to allow to tighten the fabric that's about all it says. The posts will be set in concrete so I need to know before i start.

Last edited by lemuzz; 01-22-2009 at 07:48 PM. Reason: added to