Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-16-2008, 11:40 PM   #1

Share |

settlement in the house

I have a two story house and floor of the second floor is settling from the center. I looked at the second floor windows from the backyard and they look tilted too. Looks like the house is settling from the center. I have just treated my house for termites and the termite inspector told me that the main beam has live termites in it that he treated. Do U guys think that main beam is the problem which was termite infested and now has been treated. I took an opinion from a local contractor. He told me that he will jack up the center beam. He will charge me $2500.00 for the beam only apart from the labor and material charges. Can anyone explain how this thing will work???

farooq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:58 PM   #2

settlement in the house

How old is the house? Where is it located? Is it a basement or crawlspace? Do you have pictures of the center beam?

Depending upon how much it has settled and if repairs caused by the settling were performed, jacking it up could cause cracks and other problems. You may be able to jack it a little every day or so until at the desired height without causing damage but you never know until you do it. This could cause all sorts of other problems.

What's holding up the beam? A steel pole, wooden pole, something else or nothing?

If nothing is holding it up, you could pour a footing, jack up the beam and place a post under the beam to hold it back in place.

KHouse75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:40 AM   #3
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

settlement in the house

IF THE SECOND FLOOR IS SETTLING THEN THE FIRST AS WELL, do THIS GO INTO THE AREA OF THE MAIN BEAM IN QUESTION. TAKE A CAULK LINE OR MASSON LINE. AT THE END OF THE BEAM LOCATE THE LAST FLOOR JOIST DRIVE A 10D NAIL INTO THE BOOTOM OF THE BEAM LEAVING IT STICKING DOWN 2" AND DO THE SAME AT THE OPPOIST END.TAKE YOUR LINE AND ATTACE IT TO THE NAILS PULLING IT TIGHT SO TO REMOVE THE SAG. THEN MEASURE THE END JOISTS TO THE STRING AND COMPARE IT TO THE CENTER.THIS WILL GIVE YOU AN IDEA HOW MUCH THAT BEAM HAS COMPRESSED. YES I WOULD REPLACE THE BEAM. LET US KNOW WHAT YOU COME UP WITH.
BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:37 PM   #4

settlement in the house

The house is located in Brooklyn NY. It must be atleast 60-70 years old. The floor of second floor settling from the center. I am removing all the panelings and investigating on it. Question? What is the best way of jacking up the beam? Using the hydrualic jack which they normaly use in jacking of the cars can be used?
farooq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:22 PM   #5

settlement in the house

I've used a 10 ton hydraulic jack on a small house I own. If your house if that old, however, I don't know that you'd want to jack it up much. You'd probably be better off just jacking it up just enough to place a post under it to keep it at it's current height and relieve the stress on the beam.

I'm afraid if you jack it up a lot you're going to have all sorts of problems...cracks, leaks, etc.
KHouse75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 04:40 AM   #6

settlement in the house

Depends on how the beam is currently-seated, and how it will be in the future. Using a large jack could unseat your beam. Should be very careful on an old house.

wjlundyjr is offline   Reply With Quote