DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

setting tub in mortar?

12K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  troubleseeker 
#1 ·
I am installing a fiberglass bathtub. From the searching i have done it is recommended to set it in a bed of mortar for support. Should i lay down some 6 mil plastic or is it ok to put mortar directly on the wood subfloor? Thanks and feel free to share any other advice about setting tubs!

#2 ·
I put plastic over the mortar to keep it away from the fiberglass. I can put the tub down and stand in it to set it, then raise it up to make sure there are no low spots and the mortar doesn't stick to the tub.
Ron

#6 ·
Not just you; it will set faster because the wood will absorb the moisture from the mortar, whereas the plastic sheeting will prevent this, so the only drying will be from evaporation . I doubt if the moisture from a one time application like this would premanently harm the wood sub floor, but I routinely throw down some sort of barrier. Just whatever is around..felt, visqueen, house wrap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.