Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-21-2007, 08:25 AM   #1

Share |

Setting Fence Post

I am building a 4ft fence in my back yard. I have dug my post holes 36"-42" deep. Would It be okay, after plumbing the posts, to put one bag of 80 lb. quikrete in the holes and then back fill with dirt? I just don't really want to put 3 bags of concrete in each hole as I have 20 to fill.

cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:59 AM   #2
Agent 000

Setting Fence Post

IMHO I would throw a couple of inches of stone in the bottom of the hole, set the post, then backfill with more stone until you get to the level to accomodate the 80 lb mix. The finish level of the concrete should be a couple of inches below grade. The stone will promote drainage and having the footing near grade puts the pivot point at an optimum position to prevent lateral forces from tilting the post.

SecretSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 09:05 AM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Setting Fence Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cibula11 View Post
I am building a 4ft fence in my back yard. I have dug my post holes 36"-42" deep. Would It be okay, after plumbing the posts, to put one bag of 80 lb. quikrete in the holes and then back fill with dirt? I just don't really want to put 3 bags of concrete in each hole as I have 20 to fill.
Read up:

"QUESTION: How do you set a post with QUIKRETEŽ Fast-Setting Concrete Mix?
ANSWER: Dig a hole that is about 3 times the diameter of the post with a depth of 1/3 the overall post length. Place 6" of gravel or crushed stone at the base to aid in drainage. Position the post and check that it is straight. Pour the QUIKRETEŽ Fast-Setting Concrete Mix dry from the bag into the hole until it reaches 3 to 4" from the top. Pour water onto the dry mix and allow it to soak in. Add water until the powder is thoroughly wet. This will take about one gallon of water for each 50 pound bag depending on soil conditions. If the hole is deeper than 2 1/2', do the operation in lifts of no more than 2 1/2' each. Fill the remainder of the hole with soil or the sod dug from the hole." http://www.quikrete.com/ContactUs/FAQs.asp

Also:

http://www.packagepavement.com/setting_post_qk.html
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote