Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-02-2007, 10:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Setting deck posts

Building codes in my area require that the foundation for decks be set 24 inches below ground level. In digging up the ground along the side of my house, I hit the exterior drainage system running to my sump pump before reaching 24 inches. Any suggestions on what I should do?

Thanks

Last edited by Donney; 11-02-2007 at 10:05 AM. Reason: To clarify question
Donney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 12:13 PM   #2

Setting deck posts

Re-route the drainage pipe around your footing. Or move your footing.

Why is there a deck footing so close to the side of the house?

NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 12:39 PM   #3

Setting deck posts

Thanks. The footing distance was close to the house as follows. The footing needed to be 16 inches wide and the maximum cantilever 24 inches. Subtracting the radius of the footing (8 inches) from the cantilever, the footing is 16 inches from the house.

donney
Old 11-02-2007, 01:24 PM   #4

Setting deck posts

Normally a ledger board is installed below your door opening {if you have one} and will run the length of your deck that you are building. What we are saying is "Why do you need a footer next to your house" You shouldn't need any footers as the ledger is bolted to the house, thus, no need to dig the holes. Right?? Unless we are not hearing you correctly...
localtradesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 03:28 PM   #5

Setting deck posts

The deck is below a sunroom door, but is freestanding per local codes.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:06 PM   #6

Setting deck posts

Are you saying the building inspector will not approve a plan for a ledger board to be installed on your house? Never seen anybody build a deck with posts next to the house. But, I am not in your state. You can always move over the footers a bit can't you! Apparently you live where it never freezes because here in Wisconsin we always have to go down 48 inches. Might want to check with the inspector on this again. Communication problem maybe'
localtradesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 05:56 PM   #7

Setting deck posts

Several counties in the Washington D.C. area require freestanding decks - there're have been too many decks that have collapsed.

Although the ground freezes in the area, it's usually not too deep.

Thanks again for your information.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:43 PM   #8

Setting deck posts

I have a deck in the back yard that had been put in years ago by a past owner. Where the deck is connected to the house, all the foundation beams have had to have "sister" wood added to the existing wood. The way this deck is built, the water can not drain right, and this water has caused this to happen. I am thinking of installing some posts under the deck, along the deck edge where it connects to the side of the house. Then I will literally cut away the deck from the house, leaving an open space between the house and deck for the leaves and water to go. Does this present any problems, and will a permit have to be pulled for this?

Thank you
bofusmosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 07:19 AM   #9
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Setting deck posts

Move the footing locations by - going with a "support posts set under a double rim-joist" arrangement instead of the cantilever design. This will position your post's footings 24" away from your drainage line(s).
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 07:29 AM   #10
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Setting deck posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bofusmosby View Post
I have a deck in the back yard that had been put in years ago by a past owner. Where the deck is connected to the house, all the foundation beams have had to have "sister" wood added to the existing wood. The way this deck is built, the water can not drain right, and this water has caused this to happen. I am thinking of installing some posts under the deck, along the deck edge where it connects to the side of the house. Then I will literally cut away the deck from the house, leaving an open space between the house and deck for the leaves and water to go. Does this present any problems, and will a permit have to be pulled for this?

Thank you
Do you need a permit for this? I would say so, check with your local building dept.

However, I don't see this as a feasible plan, as it would not be as simple as "cutting the deck away".

The issues of water penetration lie with the way the deck was attached to your home, the flashing ,the pitch, the weather sealing, the drainage, etc. What about your roof - gutters above that area? Is the deck properly pitched away? Is there a door near it that could be allowing moisture to enter?
There are other factors to look at.

I would not suggest to anyone, to simply "cut a deck away" - supports under it, or not - as a plan to stop water penetration.

IMHO: All you would really be doing would potentially be allowing a pathway for more water to enter your home.

If you feel you need someone to come in and look at this issue, contact some local contractors to look at the area and give you some "free" evaluations about how the water is getting in and what should be done to correct it. You could also bounce off of them, your "cutting the deck away from the house" to "stop the water infiltration idea" and see what they say. Tho, don't be surprised with the responses.

Good Luck.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 05:01 PM   #11
PRO Siding Windows Roofs

Setting deck posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by localtradesman View Post
Are you saying the building inspector will not approve a plan for a ledger board to be installed on your house? Never seen anybody build a deck with posts next to the house.
We build almost all of our decks without ledgers. Posts end up about 2 feet from the house. I feel that it is a much more superior way to build, as you do not have to worry about flashing issues and water entry at the ledger. Of course anything over 5' we would have a ledger on

PKHI is offline   Reply With Quote