Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-31-2010, 05:13 PM   #1
Just call me Andrew

Share |

Setting blocks on concrete

My breezeway (concrete floor) is about a 14" lower than the door to my house. There is a 4" concrete step near the door in the breezeway. So this means you have to step up 4", then 10" to get into the house. Rather than pouring a new concrte step that would be half the distance (7"), I was thinking of putting a few blocks on the back of the existing concrete step, turning it into two smaller steps..

Can I use new concrete to adhere these blocks to the existing step? Will it stick? What are the options?

Thanks.

Last edited by secutanudu; 08-31-2010 at 05:18 PM.
secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:39 PM   #2

andrew - andrew - andrew,,, tccchh, tccchh, tccchh - get some 4" block & use mortar instead,,, i'd lay 4" on the whole pad making the 1st step 8" then 6" into the back door,,, this will work as well in albany as it will in saratoga or guilderland

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:43 PM   #3
Civil Engineer

Variable rise steps are against code so far as I understand. The reason is that it is easy to trip on steps that vary in height. I suggest checking with the local code official about step requirements in your area. If you don't want to talk to the code person, consult a copy of architectural guide to building construction.

Given that it is 14 inches down, you could demolish the landing and place two 7 inch steps of standard tread size, concrete, wood or block.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
Willie T (09-01-2010)
Old 08-31-2010, 05:45 PM   #4
Just call me Andrew

How hard is it to demo the existing? I would need a jackhammer?

Old 08-31-2010, 06:50 PM   #5
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by secutanudu View Post
How hard is it to demo the existing? I would need a jackhammer?
Is that step cast as one piece along with the pad or is it set or cast on top of the pad?

the right answer makes it not much of a job. The wrong answer makes it a lot of work.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:28 PM   #6
Just call me Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
Is that step cast as one piece along with the pad or is it set or cast on top of the pad?
Not sure...

I just measured and it turns out the existing step is 4" high. From the first step to the house is another 12" or so. The existing step/landing is about 26" deep.

So...

Two 8" steps?
or three 5 1/3" steps?

I'd like to do this without demolishing the existing step...this project will either be simple or not done at all at this point...

Last edited by secutanudu; 08-31-2010 at 07:30 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:24 PM   #7

dan, tnx - never knew that,,, but now i gotta demo & rebuild my back stairs, dammit come to think of it, maybe my bride won't read this thread
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:50 PM   #8

couldn't you just take a 2x8 rip it to 2x7 and them build a slightly bigger form around the whole thing and re pour it maybe drill and add some rebar. could also get fancy and make an oval step or something use your imagination.
oldrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:19 AM   #9
Just call me Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldrivers View Post
couldn't you just take a 2x8 rip it to 2x7 and them build a slightly bigger form around the whole thing and re pour it maybe drill and add some rebar. could also get fancy and make an oval step or something use your imagination.
Possible...trying to keep it simple. Though, that would be a fairly cheap way to do it.

If I decide to go with blocks on top of my existing pad...what type of mortar would I use? And how would I prepare the surface?

Old 09-02-2010, 11:34 AM   #10
Just call me Andrew

The more I think about it, maybe it would be better to build a form around the existing step and pour new concrete. I have never worked with concrete before.

Since I have a 16" hight to cover...how many steps would be desirable? Do I leave a single step like i have now and just make it half the distance (8"), or do I turn it into two smaller steps?

Old 09-02-2010, 02:25 PM   #11
Just call me Andrew

Ok - another change in plans. I think I've decided to just frame wood steps around the existing pad. Do I need to use treated lumber or is it OK to have bare wood touching that concrete floor (and the cinder blocks below the door)?

Thanks.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:27 PM   #12
nap
You talking to me?

treated lumber if it comes in contact with the concrete.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:40 PM   #13
Just call me Andrew

But treated lumber is ugly!!! Can I put tar paper or something between concrete and normal lumber?