Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-27-2008, 08:36 AM   #1

Share |

Setting 3/4'' wedge anchors in concrete slab

What is the best method to drill thru rebar embedded in concete when setting wedge anchors.
George Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:54 AM   #2
ICF Construction

Quality bits and drill

A typical HD hammer drill and regular carbide bits is not the answer, i.e. I use an older Hilti TE74 and Hilti bits. There are cheaper bits on the market but how many holes are you drilling? Bosch has 3/4"x21" SDS Max bits for 39.00, Hilti's are around 85.00, The Hilti will last much longer.

Check your rental center for a SDS Max dill and bits, they will eat through rebar
Old 02-27-2008, 09:50 AM   #3
Crabby Bastard

Depending on the rebar used, and how many holes, you might be able to cut through with a concrete bit.

Like chris said, they do make special "rebar bits" . if you use these, make sure to set your hammer drill to ROTATION ONLY ( the setting with just a drill bit, NOT a drill bit and hammer, or hammer only) you will destroy these bits fast on the hammer setting. The other thing to remember is these are not for drilling concrete. as soon as you are through the rebar, change bits and set your hammer back to the rotary-hammer setting
terri_and_jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 02:37 PM   #4

I have 375 wedge anchors to set. They are 8"long,6'' embedded in the slab. I have a bosch hammer drill and found a rebar eater bit. About every forth hole I hit rebar, don't know how long this bit will hold out. Chris,Terri and JJ thanks for your help.
George Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 03:11 PM   #5
Crabby Bastard

At what depth are you hitting the rebar? if you are hitting rebar at 4" or deeper you may want to switch to more anchors set to a shallower depth.
if i remeber correctly a 3/4 wedge anchos has a minimum embedment of about 3-1/2 ". i assume you are going 6" deep because you are trying to obtain a certain tension load per anchor.

talk to whoever spec'd the 6" embedment and see if you have any alternatives. there are a lot of new mechanical anchors and epoxy stystems that hold a lot more tension at shallower embeddments that might make your life a lot easier.
terri_and_jj is offline   Reply With Quote