Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2010, 12:14 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Semi-permanently Cover/Insulate Windows?

I have a number of windows into storage areas which I don't care about either the lighting or ventilation aspects which I would like to seal, insulate, cover up--until I sell the house in several years (when I would remove these changes). The key points being to save as much energy as possible, and doing it cheaply. These are the old fashioned single-pane windows with counterweights; most with aluminum storm windows (the storm windows divided into an top and bottom parts--top glass, bottom
slides so either glass or screen). So options I am thinking about are caulking, insulation on the inside, insulation on the outside of storm window, insulation between the window and storm window...

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

PastTense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 01:14 AM   #2
Learning by Doing

I have 200 year old windows with crappy mid-century al storms. This year I used rope caulk to seal every crick/crack/crevice in the windows. I also made sure that the glass was tight and well sealed everywhere around. I spent two days this year doing all of my 30+ windows this year and @ 25$.

This year was almost draft free and my warmest winter in the house (and we all know how cold it was in the Mid-Atlantic this year).

All this being said. I am guessing that your plans = WAY more work than will pay off in savings. Keeping in mind the materials and effort to install and the effort it will take to reverse.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:36 AM   #3

Keep in mind that the sash weight pockets extend about 3" to the sides of each window
There isn't any insulation in these pockets
So you would need to be able to insulate to each side too

Any pics ?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:54 AM   #4

Yup, the good news is that this type of window is easy to insulate and improve considerably, for a lot less than the price of a cheap replacement.

It'll take a bit of DIY and possibly some glass work, but this is all easy stuff, right down to taking off the plate and exposing the rope and weights. We've done some epoxy repairs to just this type of window and the difference is night-and-day.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:54 PM   #5

if you dont need the light cut insulated foam board and seal on inside, remove easily when ready to sell