Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-17-2011, 09:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 266

semi exposed sill?

I went with a friend to look at a new house today, it is a brand new house. When walking around it and checking it out, I noticed that the exterior sheathing stops right at the bottom of the sill plate and then the bottom trim board sits right on top of that, there is no flashing on the bottom side of the trim board either (not sure if that is a requirment) But the thing is, it was raining and water would go down the trim board and would hit the underside of the trim and the run back to the sill area. I can not actually see the sill plate, but I can see the top of the foundation wall. I am sure overtime this could possibly rot out the sill plate or sheathing? Surprisingly the builder was at a house next door and he asked us if we had any questions. I asked him about this, and he said if my friend got the house and this worried him he would run a thick bead of clear caulk from the underside of the trim/sheathing to the foundation and that would keep everything dry.

It sounds like a good idea, but at the same time it seems like if any water got behind the siding it would then be trapped.

What are your guys thoughts? If this doesn't make since I can draw up a sketch.

cbzdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:39 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

semi exposed sill?

I think the "builder" is an idiot. If that's the crap you see, imagine what's hidden behind walls and under floors.

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
AndyGump (09-17-2011)
Old 09-17-2011, 10:54 PM   #3
Residential Designer

Rewards Points: 548
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

semi exposed sill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
I think the "builder" is an idiot. If that's the crap you see, imagine what's hidden behind walls and under floors.
The thing I love about Ron is his eloquence and tact.

And he is right most of the time.

Andy.
AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyGump For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (09-18-2011)
Old 09-18-2011, 01:48 AM   #4

semi exposed sill?

regardless of the builders quality, with the price being the price it is chances are he may go for it, what would the answer to the question at hand be?? Is it really even an issue? What would of been the correct way to install it? And whats the remedy?
Old 09-18-2011, 09:31 AM   #5
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,468

semi exposed sill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbzdel View Post
regardless of the builders quality, with the price being the price it is chances are he may go for it, what would the answer to the question at hand be?? Is it really even an issue? What would of been the correct way to install it? And whats the remedy?
Yes it is a issue and caulking is not a solution.

You donít mention what type of siding but it could probably be resolved with a properly flashed trim detail extending an inch or so below the plate line.

Pictures would help.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:12 AM   #6
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

semi exposed sill?

Quote:
Yes, it is an issue..a big one. It should have been flash BEFORE the siding was put on.The flashing should be behind the trim board and over the top of the foundation and down the side of the foundation about an inch.
Attached Thumbnails
semi exposed sill?-falshing-behind-trim-board.jpg  
Old 09-18-2011, 11:53 AM   #7

semi exposed sill?

Here is a quick sketch that I put together.

Also it only seems to be a problem on one wall. It seems that if it needs to be fixed, it seems like this the whole side of the house would need to be re-sided, because it would not look right if you where to just drop the trim board an inch or so.

Last edited by cbzdel; 09-18-2011 at 11:58 AM.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:41 PM   #8
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

semi exposed sill?

Quote:
Here is a quick sketch that I put together.

Also it only seems to be a problem on one wall. It seems that if it needs to be fixed, it seems like this the whole side of the house would need to be re-sided, because it would not look right if you where to just drop the trim board an inch or so.
You can use a 1x10 and rip it down to 8-1/2" Are there corner boards on the house?