Self Leveling A Floor - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-20-2011, 09:06 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 522

self leveling a floor

I have a room in the basement I want to put a floor down in, but the floor does have a slight slope... I want to use self leveling compound to try to make it less of a slope (the room is only 8 x 11) one wall is the outside wall, so I'd assume that would be the highest point? but my question is, how do I determin what the highest point is? How do you tell where you want to pour this compound? and how do you know how much to put down? I don't want to mess something like this up, but definatly want to learn how to do it

Advertisement

BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:22 AM   #2
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,098

self leveling a floor

Use a level to determine where your high and low spots are.

Self-leveling concrete is pretty great stuff, but is also expensive (about $30 for a 50lb bag). If you have a really large area that needs to be filled, do it with regular Quikcrete, then use the self-leveling stuff on top of it. Also, you have to frame up the area your going to fill, or the self-leveling mortar will drain through the holes and cracks.

Advertisement

DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:26 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 522

self leveling a floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
Use a level to determine where your high and low spots are.

Self-leveling concrete is pretty great stuff, but is also expensive (about $30 for a 50lb bag). If you have a really large area that needs to be filled, do it with regular Quikcrete, then use the self-leveling stuff on top of it. Also, you have to frame up the area your going to fill, or the self-leveling mortar will drain through the holes and cracks.
read somewhere to put "expansion foam" around the perimiter? I assume this is kind of like a sill gasket foam strip that works as a pool barrier so it cant run out?
BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:37 AM   #4
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,098

self leveling a floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBSH View Post
read somewhere to put "expansion foam" around the perimiter? I assume this is kind of like a sill gasket foam strip that works as a pool barrier so it cant run out?
I'm sure that'd work. It doesn't have to be absolutely water tight. When I did my basement last year (similar floor problem as yours) I just used the bottom plate of the wall as my "form". I wedged a 2x4 in the door openings.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:01 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

self leveling a floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBSH View Post
If it's a room with walls, the walls keep it in. You just need to block the doorways and any openings.
As stated, this stuff isn't cheap. If you go the Sakcrete route to build it up, you need to know how to apply it to get it to stick to the current floor. One of the concrete guys should be able to guide you as to this plan and the materials you will need.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote