Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-02-2013, 05:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Self leveling cracking, is this normal?

Hello All

New to the forum and have a question, not sure which forum to put this under so if someone in charge feels it's in the wrong place please feel free to move it.

Anyway I'm in the middle of a basement reno and I put some radient heating in the floor. I used the wire not the mat to be able to get a 4" spacing (the mats have 3") so it would be suitable for laminate flooring. BTW I used http://truecomfortsystems.com/en/products/heating-cable if anyone is curious.

Then I prepped the concrete floor with LevelQuik's latex primer http://www.custombuildingproducts.co...ex-primer.aspx

That all went fine, I then put down the Levelquik RS self-leveling compound http://www.custombuildingproducts.co...erlayment.aspx to cover the cables.

Anyway 3 days after everything looked good, no problems. Today I go down (it's now been 9 days since the leveling compound went down) and notice little hairline cracks. These are really tiny cracks, running a finger over them I can't even tell they are there, only visually I can tell. There has been almost no walking on the floor since it went down and walking on it now seems fine and solid, no cracking or hollow sounds.

And so you guys know, the temp down here was around 16-17 degrees C.
The info from the manufacturer states:
Ambient temperature,
surfaces and materials should be maintained at a temperature above

50 F (10 C) or below 100 F (38 C) for 72 hours.

Also I double checked I had the proper amount of water per bag before starting. I took a pail and marked how much water went in it so there would be no confusion.

So I guess my question is, is it ok to go ahead and put down a laminate floor now or do I need to somehow correct what I'm not sure is even a problem?

I did do this whole procedure in the bathroom in the basement a while ago but ended up tiling it within 3-4 days of laying the self-leveling and didn't seem to have any problems.

Burnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:51 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

You'll be fine. Start laying your flooring.

Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Seattle2k For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (04-02-2013)
Old 04-02-2013, 06:02 PM   #3

Thanks that was what I was thinking but wanted to make sure.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 520

i think you will be fine also as long as s.l. is bonded to floor.
i also think if you turn heat mat on the cracks might get a little bigger
jaydevries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:45 PM   #5

The SL should be bonded to the floor as I used the proper primer before-hand and let it dry for double the recommended drying time.

I am not planing on turning on the heating till I have the laminate flooring installed which will be a month away at least as I need to get the drywall up first. From what I've read it is a very good idea to wait 2 weeks anyway before turning on the heat to make sure the SL has cured properly.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:22 PM   #6
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,476

Have you tested the coils? It is best to use the beeper/toner that the company supplies---

It would be bad to find a fault after the floor is installed.

Those coils are easy to damage----It would be a good idea to cover the floor in the cutting area with some cheap plywood or masonite----tools get dropped---Mike---
Old 04-02-2013, 08:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Have you tested the coils? It is best to use the beeper/toner that the company supplies---

It would be bad to find a fault after the floor is installed.

Those coils are easy to damage----It would be a good idea to cover the floor in the cutting area with some cheap plywood or masonite----tools get dropped---Mike---
I've taken an ohm reading and meggered the cable before and after installation so it's all good. Glad I work at a place where I have access to a megger.

The Following User Says Thank You to Burnt For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (04-03-2013)