Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-25-2013, 09:51 AM   #1
Custom User Title

Share |

Seeking opinions on garage door design

We are looking to replace our traditional overhead garage doors with a carriage style swing garage doors. It is too expensive to buy them from a door manufacture since they are all custom made so I'm researching my options. I am pretty sure this design should work but want you opinions/suggestions. I'd hate to build this thing and a few months later, the thing sag or warp.

Check out the design below. My thought is to use a sheet of good cabinet grade plywood as a base. That way there will not be any issues of the joints sagging from poor joint construction. I'd then overlay 1x material to replicate the pattern below. I've sourced heavy duty hinges and I should be able to size them based on the weight of the door.

no1hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:52 AM   #2
registered

Not sure. But your looking at some money.

747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:22 AM   #3
A "Handy Husband"

You door is going to be a little under 8 feet wide? Too narrow for a car.

IMO, out swing carriage doors will be a PIA if you have any snow in your area and it will be difficult to use a electric door opener.

I would use a roll up door and apply the carriage door details to it.

It was done on an episode of This Old House:

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/how-...307744,00.html
Old 10-25-2013, 10:23 AM   #4

The design looks great. The devil is in the details, though. I can tell you from experience, there can be a good number of details in a project like this. I'm not doubting your skills. Just warning that if you haven't built shed doors before, it's not going to be a matter of spending a weekend throwing trim pieces on plywood and then hanging it up. That alone will give you flimsy doors that allow driving rain into your garage. I recommend you do a good amount of homework before diving in. If this isn't your first rodeo, ignore my warning.
cortell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:14 AM   #5
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
You door is going to be a little under 8 feet wide? Too narrow for a car.

IMO, out swing carriage doors will be a PIA if you have any snow in your area and it will be difficult to use a electric door opener.

I would use a roll up door and apply the carriage door details to it.

It was done on an episode of This Old House:

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/how-...307744,00.html
The garage already exists and we don't park cars in it.

There is about 4 feet of overhang too so there has never been an issue of snow accumulating outside the door. This will be opened manually as well. However, there is a neat way to convert a regular opener to one that swings open.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:16 AM   #6
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortell View Post
The design looks great. The devil is in the details, though. I can tell you from experience, there can be a good number of details in a project like this. I'm not doubting your skills. Just warning that if you haven't built shed doors before, it's not going to be a matter of spending a weekend throwing trim pieces on plywood and then hanging it up. That alone will give you flimsy doors that allow driving rain into your garage. I recommend you do a good amount of homework before diving in. If this isn't your first rodeo, ignore my warning.
That is why I'm posting here.

I'm looking for why my idea won't work so I can come up with a better way to do it without spending a boatload on custom doors.

So, about them details, do you mind sharing?
Old 10-25-2013, 11:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1hustler View Post
That is why I'm posting here.

I'm looking for why my idea won't work so I can come up with a better way to do it without spending a boatload on custom doors.

So, about them details, do you mind sharing?
So, I'm not saying your idea will not work. There are craftmen (fine carpenters) that can definitely make that happen. If you don't think you have the experience to pull it off and are looking for detailed instructions, you're unlikely to find that here. Fortunately, the world has tons of people that take great pleasure and pride in sharing their knowledge at that level. You can find them on youtube.

I've given you two things to keep in mind: door rigidity and water intrusion. here's a few more: alignment, clearances and hinge placement. Those are some of the details which will make this project significantly more difficult than doing a CAD drawing. But you seem motivated and eager, so I think you're off to a good start.
The Following User Says Thank You to cortell For This Useful Post:
no1hustler (10-25-2013)
Old 10-25-2013, 11:51 AM   #8

The plywood keeps the door from racking so you don't have an issue with the doors themselves, provided you understand wood movement and proper fastening, and your materials are weather resistant or protected properly. IMO, the biggest potential problem here are your hinges and where they attach. You have a huge amount of cantilevered weight for a lot of hinges. They need to be extremely stout. That much weight can bind up or even bend hinge pins. Also, the way you've drawn your 4x4 posts does not show how they are attached to the framing. If you're building this within the existing opening, I'd want to make sure those posts are securely bolted into the existing framing, and that the existing framing can also handle the stress. That said, none of this accounts for weather sealing. You need some sort of weather stripping or flashing all around this door, including a sweep on the bottoms.
iminaquagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iminaquagmire For This Useful Post:
no1hustler (10-25-2013)
Old 10-25-2013, 12:24 PM   #9
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminaquagmire View Post
The plywood keeps the door from racking so you don't have an issue with the doors themselves, provided you understand wood movement and proper fastening, and your materials are weather resistant or protected properly. IMO, the biggest potential problem here are your hinges and where they attach. You have a huge amount of cantilevered weight for a lot of hinges. They need to be extremely stout. That much weight can bind up or even bend hinge pins. Also, the way you've drawn your 4x4 posts does not show how they are attached to the framing. If you're building this within the existing opening, I'd want to make sure those posts are securely bolted into the existing framing, and that the existing framing can also handle the stress. That said, none of this accounts for weather sealing. You need some sort of weather stripping or flashing all around this door, including a sweep on the bottoms.
Thanks for the comments.

Yeah, the first thing I looked into is whether or not I could source hinges that can carry the weight. I found a few options and I'm currently trying to figure out the approximate weight of the door so I can properly size them. I plan on attaching the post with 1/2" tapcons (or similar). Or I'll go completely through the brick and into the framing and use threaded bolts. I will be able to open up the wall on the inside to see how things look before I start.

As far as the weather stripping, I plan on using weathstripping on the insides behind the openings. I'll also make an astragal for the center void. I'll also add sometype of sweep for the bottom of the door as well.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminaquagmire View Post
The plywood keeps the door from racking so you don't have an issue with the doors themselves, provided you understand wood movement ...
To clarify, when I spoke of door rigidity, I was not implying there would be flex along the door's plane, but rather in all other directions. Think of a playing card. It's quite stable along its plane. You can't easily pull it apart or deform it into a rhomboid, but it's very unstable in every other way. E.g., it cups very easily. A large thin door made of flexible materials (e.g., one made of just plywood and trim) would have similar issues, though not as dramatic.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortell View Post
To clarify, when I spoke of door rigidity, I was not implying there would be flex along the door's plane, but rather in all other directions. Think of a playing card. It's quite stable along its plane. You can't easily pull it apart or deform it into a rhomboid, but it's very unstable in every other way. E.g., it cups very easily. A large thin door made of flexible materials (e.g., one made of just plywood and trim) would have similar issues, though not as dramatic.
That's a good point. Maybe a piece of angle iron on the top and bottom of each door and a piece in the middle like the stabilizer on a horizontal garage door.
iminaquagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:48 PM   #12

You also may want to reconsider using the cabinet grade plywood and use marine plywood instead. It will certainly hold up much better in outside applications and you won't be sacrificing any strength.

Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote