DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Seeking Enclosed Trailer Opinions

9K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  jbaker1516 
#1 ·
I am about to buy an enclosed trailer for tools & miscellaneous storage & transport. I'm interested in people's opinions regarding size - 6x12 or 7x16 ... short of the obvious size differences. I'm currently remodeling a house and am at the point I need to get my stuff out so the drywall & floor crews can have unobstructed access to what they need to do. I have all the significant tools one would expect: Power mitre saw, contractor table saw, compressor, nail guns, power hand tools, scaffold, and a plethora of other "stuff". After finishing with the house reno, I need to take all the tools up to a lake to assist my father-in-law in building a cabin, on a lot that is midway up a steep hill. I plan to leave the trailer on that site until that is done. The 6x12 seems large enough to hold the tools, but I'm wondering if the 7x16 wouldn't be a better choice. While the 6x12 will hold everything, will I regret not getting the larger trailer? Is the 7x16 going to be more of a hassle to pull, or position than it is worth? Both have a side step-in door - any preferences on a ramp vs doors on the rear? Figured this audience would have some opinions. Thanks

#2 ·
If your buying new, I would suggest the 7x16. If used, it depends on your budget I guess. What I found years ago when buying our 8x16 is that the resale value is quite a bit better on the 16' trailers as far more contractors are using that size & bigger. More people trade up to bigger trailers than the other way around, making the bigger trailers worth more. I ended up buying new because they weren't that much more than a used trailer. At that time, the resale was huge on those trailers, at least Pace Americans.

A couple other things:
- The trailer can never be "too big", you'll find more to put in it. The towing vehicle, on the other hand, can be too small.
- The ramp door is great if you're working by yourself & need to load heavy items. It actually makes the trailer far more versatile. We often haul a mortar mixer, conrete buggy, power trowel, etc.. with us, & having the ramp & the room often saves us a trip. I think it was about $700 extra at the time, but again, remember resale.
- The 6x12 is probably a single axle, 7x16 is definately tandem axle. Those 2 trailers with the same amount in each = the tandem pulls much better/straighter IMO. Heavier, yes, but better.
- I would opt for the bigger trailer as it sounds like you won't be towing it much at all.

#3 ·
I agree with jomama get the biggest trailer you can afford and that your truck will tow. Another advantage to bigger trailers is they are easier to learn to back up as they don't cut as fast. I have one trailer with a door and one trailer with a ramp. I wish they both had ramps. What ever trailer size you end up with make sure you distribute the weight evenly. You don't want to go down the road with most the weight on one side of the trailer. Also take a day to lay it out and build shelving, install cabinets, ect.

#4 ·
Gotta agree with the previous posts, get as large as you can easily store/handle. I bought a home dumpo one (6x12) about 8 years ago and have always wished that I went a little larger...had another for a guy working for me that is 7 x 14 v-nose.

Still would like a 16', but am worried about not being able to park in a client's driveway without truck nosing into street on some occasions.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.