Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-26-2012, 12:37 AM   #1

Share |

Seeking AZEK Decking Project suggestions

I'm replacing my 20 year old Redwood decking with AZEK Silver Oak on joists 12" oc on two small decks. I have a few minor questions and I would sure welcome any input or suggestions on anything anyone can think of after reviewing my plans below. I do have experience in construction, although it's been 30 years since I was a General Contractor. A small General Contractor where I did the actual carpentry, roofing, electrical, etc.

Sorry for the small text but these photos were resized in Picasa 3 for this site. My originals are in a web album I've shared with family and friends on all my substructure work to this point. You can always use whatever the method is in your browser to increase magnification (in Chrome it's Ctrl + - be sure to count how many +'s you hit so you can use Ctrl - to reduce back to your original magnification). I'll be starting the decking on the small deck this weekend, at the latest. That one will be a snap.

Seeking AZEK Decking Project suggestions-decks.jpg

It's a one joist depth step from small deck to bigger deck. The small deck is about 1/4" below surface of cool deck.

Seeking AZEK Decking Project suggestions-subsctructure.jpg

Seeking AZEK Decking Project suggestions-details.jpg

I do have to say drawing up a plan in AutoCAD sure does help in calculating material needed. And at the price AZEK decking costs it is well worth it.

I was very fortunate when they delivered my decking material. They had to substitute 8 of my 16'ers with 20's. With the extra I re-worked my usage scenario and came up with the following to minimize waste and I still think I'll have two extra 12'ers.

Seeking AZEK Decking Project suggestions-schedule.jpg

Question 1: I have now decided to use decking material for my trim under the picture frame on the big deck with the frame extending 1/2" past the trim, and face screw into the AZEK decking trim pieces with color matched stainless steel #7 2 1/2" screws. I inserted some screws into a sample piece of AZEK decking and it appears it would hold firmly. Does anyone think this is a bad idea?

I am using the Camo hidden deck screw system - 2 3/8" x #7. I figure I have two choices on how to attach the picture frame (PF) boards.

1. I can use a single face screw on the perimeter of the PF into the decking trim below and use a Camo screw on the inside of the PF. If I do this the horizontal and vertical boards would have a 3/16" space between them and the PF. But, only one screw showing in the PF.

2. I can use two face screws on the PF with the other decking boards closer to the PF.

Question 2: What are some viewpoints on the visual of having one vs. two screws showing on the PF, understanding two screws gives me the major option of having the other boards closer to the PF. As it appears to be the case in the photo below from the AZEK Gallery.

Name:  Bevel.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  14.5 KB

Question 3: To obtain that very slight bevel what would you suggest? I've tried with a small block planer, which appears to work, but I think my finish sander, which I will have again in two days, might be less work and also work. I actually like using the block planer and I'm not pressed for time.

I suppose I should add the project is in the Central Valley in Northern California. I did a lot of research before I chose AZEK. I was just tired of every 18 months or so cleaning and re-applying a clear sealant (to keep the visual of the grain that stain tends to hide). I know it's two small decks but after 20 years I just don't want to do it anymore. From everything I've read AZEK appeared to be the most 'low maintenance' decking available at the moment. My other choice was Timber Tech Earthwoods Evolution but after reading in The Deck Handbook: Part 4 it appears any cut edge will need sealing regularly. And I sure like the greater selection of color choices with AZEK.

Sorry for the long post and I appreciate any responses

Bob

Last edited by bobinchico; 09-26-2012 at 12:45 AM.
bobinchico is offline   Reply With Quote