Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-25-2010, 05:50 PM   #1

Share |

securing walls

I just took down a wall between my kitchen and living room but left up 5 feet so that i could make it into a breakfast bar, only it is very shaky. How can i secure it so that it doesn't move enough to install a countertop on it? In the furture i want to put cabinets behind it but for now it sits alone with one end attached and the other open. thanks for any and all help!

jmconfusior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:42 AM   #2

securing walls

How wide is this wall? Pics may help. Is there a doorway on one side? If I were you I would take the whole thing out and start from scratch. The wall was probably originally supported by the ceiling and the floor, which means you removed half of the support.

Branden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Branden For This Useful Post:
jmconfusior (05-26-2010)
Old 05-26-2010, 09:03 AM   #3

securing walls

Jm,
Those little wing walls are always tough to secure. Couple of thoughts:
If you have access below, you could strip off a section of drywall to expose the outermost bay of your wing wall. Drill holes in the top and bottom plates through to the basement. Counter sink the top hole and install a piece of 1/2" allthread (threaded rod). Put a piece of 2 x 4 blocking underneath from the basement side and crank it tight.
THe other thing I have done is install 1/2 cdx on one side of the wall. Course you would have to strip the rest of the wall to do this. If you wall has one side that dies in a corner, you might be able to do this. Cover the cdx with some 1/4" drywall. Make up a nice wooden shelf to go on top for now. This will give you a place to stop your cdx/drywall side.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to firehawkmph For This Useful Post:
jmconfusior (05-26-2010)
Old 05-26-2010, 10:08 AM   #4
Not so new

securing walls

Add another 2 x at the end of the wall (stud), but put it thru a precut hole in the floor. Attach directly to floor joist if you can, otherwise use blocking same size as the joists.
12penny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 12penny For This Useful Post:
jmconfusior (05-26-2010)
Old 05-26-2010, 07:19 PM   #5

securing walls

it is a concrete floor and yes the support i guess was removed. if i start from scratch should i use a something bigger like a 2 x 6. will it make a differecne?

its sorta small 46 inches high and 5 feet long. there is no door.
jmconfusior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:05 PM   #6

securing walls

What about building a narrow (18-24") end wall perpendicular to your existing shortwall?
gdoucette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:08 PM   #7

securing walls

Post some pics

Branden is offline   Reply With Quote