Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-27-2007, 01:34 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 16
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Securing ceiling joists to a beam


hi there,

I recently replaced a bearing wall with a giant oak beam and a couple of posts. now, I need to nail those ceiling joists down to the beam (they were once nailed to the top plate of the former wall).

the house is a bungalow, the construction is oak. the ceiling joists are 2x6 originals with new pine 2x6s sistered to them running the full length.

my question is, is it possible to use screws to tie these joists back down to the beam? there isn't enough space to get in there with a hammer.

how many and what size screws would you recommend?

thank you!

- j

t_mccann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 02:01 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,796
Rewards Points: 1,018
Default

Securing ceiling joists to a beam


Quote:
Originally Posted by t_mccann View Post
hi there,

I recently replaced a bearing wall with a giant oak beam and a couple of posts. now, I need to nail those ceiling joists down to the beam (they were once nailed to the top plate of the former wall).

the house is a bungalow, the construction is oak. the ceiling joists are 2x6 originals with new pine 2x6s sistered to them running the full length.

my question is, is it possible to use screws to tie these joists back down to the beam? there isn't enough space to get in there with a hammer.

how many and what size screws would you recommend?

thank you!

- j
You can probably use steel brackets. Also, nails are generally recommended/required via code vice screws.

handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 02:05 PM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 16
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Securing ceiling joists to a beam


steel brackets bolted to the joists and beam?

any particular type of bracket, ie size/name?

thanks for your response.
t_mccann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 02:16 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,796
Rewards Points: 1,018
Default

Securing ceiling joists to a beam


Quote:
Originally Posted by t_mccann View Post
steel brackets bolted to the joists and beam?

any particular type of bracket, ie size/name?

thanks for your response.
You can find these brackets at any store like HD or Lowes. I don't recall the name, but there are tons of variety.

These are typically made out of galvanized steel, meant for outdoors. You could paint them, but if you want something nicer, you could always buy steel plates and drill holes to make them more functional.

http://www.powrfab.com/

http://www.mcmaster.com/ (look under raw materials/metals)
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 03:24 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 190
Rewards Points: 150
Default

Securing ceiling joists to a beam


A palm nailer should let you get a nail about anywhere.
scorrpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 03:58 PM   #6
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 16
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Securing ceiling joists to a beam


right on. thanks for the palm nailer tip!
t_mccann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 09:23 PM   #7
Custom Cabinet Maker
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Netcong NJ
Posts: 1,097
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Securing ceiling joists to a beam


Joist hangers :} , also hurricane straps might work
skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:32 AM   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 16
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Securing ceiling joists to a beam


scorrpio - with the palm nailer, does the nail sit recessed all the way in the head of the nailer, or does it sort of stick to the end of the head, increasing the amount of space needed to get it into position?

skymaster - the joists sit on the beam, so joist hangers won't work. however, thanks for reminding me about the hurricane straps. there are a few rafters that need reconnecting to another top plate in the house and they might do the trick.
t_mccann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 12:22 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,796
Rewards Points: 1,018
Default

Securing ceiling joists to a beam


Quote:
Originally Posted by t_mccann View Post
scorrpio - with the palm nailer, does the nail sit recessed all the way in the head of the nailer, or does it sort of stick to the end of the head, increasing the amount of space needed to get it into position?

skymaster - the joists sit on the beam, so joist hangers won't work. however, thanks for reminding me about the hurricane straps. there are a few rafters that need reconnecting to another top plate in the house and they might do the trick.

HD does sell brackets that secure joists on top of beams. You'd be surprised at how many styles of brackets that exist.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 02:35 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 190
Rewards Points: 150
Default

Securing ceiling joists to a beam


The nail goes about 1" into the nailer's nose, where a magnet holds it.

scorrpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
garage ceiling joists josh123 Carpentry 6 07-14-2009 11:07 PM
Mounting Ceiling Fan to Exposed Beam zero1niner Electrical 7 05-05-2009 11:41 AM
Ceiling Joist Beam Construction? Stargazer Building & Construction 1 08-26-2007 10:50 PM
Vaulted Ceiling, faux wood beam, ceiling fan? zel Electrical 9 07-13-2007 05:30 PM
Spacing of ceiling joists Pineconeman Building & Construction 3 05-13-2005 11:16 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.