Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-01-2013, 01:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Securing an archway

I have this beautiful arch that I decorated for my son's wedding. Come to find out that the spot it is going into has cement under the gravel. I thought about putting the bottom stakes in a bucket of cement but I am not sure if that is the best solution. And if I were to put them in cement would that be enough weight so the arch doesn't sway or topple over? The original plan was to drive the bottom stakes which are 12 inches long into the ground and secure the arch using fishing wire and tent stakes. Anyone have a solution or recommendation?

The arch is about 8ft tall and made out of metal. The arch came in 35 pieces. Starting at the lower left side there are 4 - 17" straight metal rods, followed by 4 curved metal rods (just a big longer in length and add about 2.5 feet to the height) and finishing the arch with 4 more straight rods. Times that by 2. Then there are 11 - 15" rods that serve as a 'brace' between the front and the back arches. So the depth of the arch is just over a foot. The rods are not very thick - just a little bit thicker than a pencil. Not only do the rods fit into each other, they are also secured by a small screw at each horizontal brace.
Attached Thumbnails
Securing an archway-archway1.jpg   Securing an archway-archway2.jpg   Securing an archway-archway3.jpg  

CactusRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 212

Securing an archway

If this is going outside, even with a the buckets of concrete that things going to act like a sail and still may tip over.
Why not just drill two holes in the concrete and slip it in?

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:54 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 0

Securing an archway

Thanks for a great suggestion !
CactusRock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carpentry, construction, landscape, metal building