Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-12-2009, 12:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Lightbulb

Second story addition

I need to add on to my house to accomodate my ever growing family of five kids. I have a few questions concerning a second story addition.

As of now I have three cement pillars in my basement set 10' apart which hold up the main support beam which is four 2x8's bolted together then the floor is supported by the same 2x8's set 16" to center that are secured to the side of the main beam, not over it.

there is a load bearing wall that runs straight through the middle of the house on top of the main beam, and on top of the wall is another beam made from four 2x8's bolted togeter with the same 2x8 frame as the first floor.

Please note, the house is sixty years old and the 2x8's used are actualy 2" by 8". There are no foundation problems and the house sits straight.

My question is, could I use the existing ceiling as a floor? or would I have to rip it out and put 2x10's instead.

any answers would be greatly appreciated.

fatheroffive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:38 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Second story addition

This depends upon load bearing walls, size of the house, location, length of span for the 2x8's

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:45 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Second story addition

I live in Quebec, the house is 26'x32', the main beam runs the 32' and the 2x8's span is 14' but they reach the foundation wall at 12'.

Last edited by fatheroffive; 02-12-2009 at 12:49 PM.
fatheroffive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:31 PM   #4
Contractor

Rewards Points: 25

Second story addition

A good question for your local building inspector. Cheers
cobracdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:13 PM   #5
SNC

Rewards Points: 75

Second story addition

if your joist set on the wall at 12' then that is your span, 12' with a 2 foot cantalever im guessing. Depends upon the currant codes, before you tear them out, you may be able to double them up. 2x8 will cost less than 2x10, and i dont think there would be anything wrong with 4x8 16" o.c.
SNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:36 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 25

Second story addition

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatheroffive View Post
I need to add on to my house to accomodate my ever growing family of five kids. I have a few questions concerning a second story addition.

As of now I have three cement pillars in my basement set 10' apart which hold up the main support beam which is four 2x8's bolted together then the floor is supported by the same 2x8's set 16" to center that are secured to the side of the main beam, not over it.

there is a load bearing wall that runs straight through the middle of the house on top of the main beam, and on top of the wall is another beam made from four 2x8's bolted togeter with the same 2x8 frame as the first floor.

Please note, the house is sixty years old and the 2x8's used are actualy 2" by 8". There are no foundation problems and the house sits straight.

My question is, could I use the existing ceiling as a floor? or would I have to rip it out and put 2x10's instead.

any answers would be greatly appreciated.
What is the span of the existing joists?

I doubt you will be able to use the 2x8's as a floor joist's.

Your existing foundation was most likely sized to support the load of the existing building adding onto will increase not only the dead load, but the live load as well.

Adding a second story is not as easy as one would think, you need to have a qualified structural engineer evaluate the situation.

bwalley is offline   Reply With Quote