Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-28-2007, 10:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Second story

I'd like to add a second story to my house (kids are getting older, need more room). Contractors are hard to come by since they are still all on the coast dealing with Katrina.

I don't think my house will support a second story, can I frame up a steel i-beam frame that fits over my house (with 6 or 8 'legs') and build off of that?

Thanks

-Matthew

3DPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:19 AM   #2
Handyguy

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

Second story

Why don't you think your house will support a second story? Is it a mobile home?

Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:30 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Second story

It is a house that started as a small house built in the early 60s.. It was added onto once to add two rooms (a dining room and a bathroom). But the rooms weren't connected, they were actually built with a pecan tree inbetween them (think: a 'U' with a pecan tree in the middle". It was added onto AGAIN with two back bedrooms, which enclosed the tree in the middle of my house. So, I have three different sections of the house with three different roof heights and three different foundations. I assume it won't support it. It may, but i'd actually like to knock a two load-bearing walls out once we do get the second story to make our living room and and main bedroom larger. I would hope a steel frame would be quick and easy and cheaper than building off of what I already have (assuming I would need to re-inforce my home's foundation)..

I see homes on the coast that have this exact frame design: 6 or 8 cinder block columns with a house on top. I just want that over my house now.

-Matthew
3DPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:33 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Second story

It is not as much if it will support as it is to do with local codes and if they will allow you to build a second story or not. I have a rental that was built in the 1920s and it has 2x4s that very from 12 inches to 3 feet apart and there is a second story on it. There is now way that you could get away building that today or would want too! You will probably have to have a structural engineer look at it and decide how to comply with local codes.
HAASEMAN2003 is offline   Reply With Quote