Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-09-2009, 05:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Seamless Steel Siding & Stucco

Hi,

What is the proper way to install seamless steel siding? Should the stucco be remove prior installing seamless steel siding? What are the price range for each option?

From what I know, stucco can't be nail. I think stucco should be remove so the siding can be nail on the wood. Is this right?

The problem is I signed a contract with a contractor stating they must remove stucco prior installing siding. A few days before they start the project, they came and said the stucco was too hard to remove. They said they want to increase the cost because they need to do the prep work. They would not be able to put siding in the front because we had old windows but the contact didn't state anything or the guy who we signed the contract with ever mention. They said we need to replace those windows. I had tried to contact the guy I signed the contract with but I think he is ignoring my call because he asked other people to call me instead. I really want to call him at home and knock on his door. So...the day they start the project, they said we won't charge you extra for doing the prep for siding. You can say they only completed one side in two weeks; they don't work 8-5 and come and go when they want. So...did they break the contract? Did it sound like I agree? If I did, I didn't know. They know it to that we are not handy at all. Should I sue them breaking the contract? Does it worth it? Should I get building inspector involve?

I have pictures if needed.

Please help! This is urgent!

My Sam

Last edited by MySam; 09-09-2009 at 05:44 PM.
MySam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

unless there was a time clause in your contract it dosent sound like the contract has been broken

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:26 PM   #3

Although we strongly discourage questions (and advice) pertaining to dealing with contracts and contractors on this DIY-related site, there's good potential for good information for DIYers on this thread.

This is not the place to seek legal advice or contract advice. Neither has anything to do with DIY work. Discussion of dollar figures for contractors' work is not permitted here. If this thread continues on the course of contract advice pertaining to this situation it will be closed. Perhaps some of the siding pros that frequent the site can offer some options for installation of the steel siding with the stucco in place.

The best advice you can get is to get several estimates before picking a contractor and don't pay ahead of the job's completion.

Stucco isn't really an acceptable nailing substrate. So yes, it probably needs to be removed before siding is installed unless there's a way for them to secure to the stucco or framing beneath (screws?). Removal of the stucco might be tougher than they originally thought it would, but a professional should've evaluated that and allowed for it before pricing a job. I don't think the building inspector will be of much help unless they decide to apply the siding over the stucco...Although it would be a poor practice there's not really any code that deals with your situation. Never hurts to call though, the local municipality may have their own adopted standards for such work that could be enforceable.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:27 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

They said it might damage the house if they try to remove the stucco. It costs more money to prep for siding than remove stucco. They said this is the best way. Should I take their words? If I would to contact a city building inspector, what kind of things would I see happening? Also, do I need to pay a fee? Is my property tax going to be higher because of this?

Thanks for your reply,

My Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
Although we strongly discourage questions (and advice) pertaining to dealing with contracts and contractors on this DIY-related site, there's good potential for good information for DIYers on this thread.

This is not the place to seek legal advice or contract advice. Neither has anything to do with DIY work. Discussion of dollar figures for contractors' work is not permitted here. If this thread continues on the course of contract advice pertaining to this situation it will be closed. Perhaps some of the siding pros that frequent the site can offer some options for installation of the steel siding with the stucco in place.

The best advice you can get is to get several estimates before picking a contractor and don't pay ahead of the job's completion.

Stucco isn't really an acceptable nailing substrate. So yes, it probably needs to be removed before siding is installed unless there's a way for them to secure to the stucco or framing beneath (screws?). Removal of the stucco might be tougher than they originally thought it would, but a professional should've evaluated that and allowed for it before pricing a job. I don't think the building inspector will be of much help unless they decide to apply the siding over the stucco...Although it would be a poor practice there's not really any code that deals with your situation. Never hurts to call though, the local municipality may have their own adopted standards for such work that could be enforceable.
MySam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:20 PM   #5

Unfortunately, all questions that we cannot answer...Other than to guess. Also, all things that should have been dealt with before you contracted the job.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:43 PM   #6

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote