Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-19-2010, 09:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

Sealing up a mail slot? (w/ pics)

I'm having some miscellaneous drywalling done on Monday and Tuesday. I'm thinking of also having the guy also seal up the interior side of my in-wall mail slot. I'm really not certain how to seal up the outside, though.

My exterior walls are stucco (lovely pink thanks to the previous owners). The inside cavity of the slot is flashed with sheet metal.

Any suggestions? I have no previous experience with stucco, but I'm willing to learn.

I realize I may not get a very nice match to the existing color/texture of the stucco. One thought I had was to just move my mailbox about one foot over to the right to cover the patch job. I could also slap up a house number placard over this area. Given those possibilities, my main concern is getting a good weather tight patch in place.

I also wouldn't think it was the worst thing in the world to just leave the outside slot cover in place, provided the cavity was insulated/weather tight.

Thoughts?

TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:29 PM   #2
General Contractor

sorry didnt read the whole thing

KennMacMoragh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:43 AM   #3

Patching stucco so that it is invisible, takes lots of experience. If you leave the outside shute, it will get used occasionally unless you screw it shut.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 03:36 PM   #4

Again, I'm not really concerned about matching the existing stucco. My main focus is sealing up the slot so its weather tight.

Also, I'm not sure I'll be able to remove the sheet metal lining the "body" of the slot. Should I be concerned about this material conducting the outside cold and causing condensation problems (and thus, mold)?

I do have plenty of "Great Stuff" insulating foam sealant on hand. Would that address any condensation concerns?
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:37 PM   #5
I own my dream cough home

I would tear it right off and see what you've got to work with. Pull the trim off from the inside so you can get a better look at how it's attached. Can you see any fasteners holding it in place? If you get the entire thing out including the metal sleeve, you could cut a piece of cement board for the outside, glue in place with construction adhesive, spackle it with mortar and throw a house number over it like you were thinking. Then fill the void with pink insulation, cut a piece of drywall and patch up the inside and paint.
Subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:30 PM   #6

Add some sticky window wrap or 30# builder's felt under the outside covering as moisture/vapor barrier like the stucco has......

Be safe, Gary