Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-12-2012, 03:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

sealing the rim joist

Hello,

I'm in the process of trying to seal up and insulate an unfinished basement utility room in my home (built 1979). The place i'm kindof stuck at right now, is what to do with the exposed rim joist, as well as what to do with where the rim joist meets the concrete wall.

I have attached a picture of a small section of a wall i'm dealing with.

My first question is, are there any possible problems with filling the rim joist to foundation joint with caulk? (ie. moisture issues) The reason I ask is that in pretty much every guide or tutorial i've looked at, the rim joist doesn't meet the wall directly, but instead it's sitting on a sill plate. Does this change anything in my situation?

The foundation wall is 8" thick, so i'm assuming the rim joist you see in the pics is actually 5 or so 2x10's nailed together?

Another thing to note is the area shown in the picture is roughly 2.5 feet above grade, if that affects anything.

Thanks for any help.. this might be a really easy question, but I just don't want to dive in and make changes that are going to cause damage down the line.

bseries4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,094

sealing the rim joist

I had 162 lineal feet of rim joist done by a local spray foam company. Dont mind the dimensions on the chandelier. I was trying to sell it in that photo.

Before all I had was fiberglass stuffed in the rim joist cavities. After all sealed up with spray foam.
Attached Thumbnails
sealing the rim joist-100_0272.jpg  

Last edited by hammerlane; 03-05-2013 at 10:16 AM.
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:41 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

sealing the rim joist

How much did that run you?
rygamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:50 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,094

sealing the rim joist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rygamer View Post
How much did that run you?
Along with the rim joists, I had a wall ...about 200 sq feet... done in my garage attic. total price was $800.

See post #10 here for additional photos:

Rim Joist insulation
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:08 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

sealing the rim joist

My understanding is that the spray foam can't be left exposed to a living space for code reasons. The material gives off some nasty fumes/smoke in the event of the fire and must be covered with a thermal fire barrier - foil facing, layer of gyp board, other coating, etc.

Back to the OP's question: is that insulation to the right side of the photo? Hard to tell from the close up. Caulking the rim joist to concrete shouldn't cause any ill effects. I did the same thing in my basement before finishing it. On a cold windy day, I walked around feeling for drafts and sealed any joints where I had excessive infiltration.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:05 PM   #6
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,032

sealing the rim joist

It is even more important to make sure the rim joist is sealed from the elements along the outside of the wall and foundation. That is where most of the problems come from, once you see problems on the inside like from the view in your picture it is to late..

Ideally the rim joist should not sit directly onto the foundation but have a foundation plate between the two, have you checked to see if there is a layer of sheet metal are tar paper between the rim joist and cement block?

Also, I doubt that is 5- 2x making the band rim joist but maybe some spacer blocks between or something. does not make since to add 5 rim boards to that spot??
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:06 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

sealing the rim joist

I wanted to seal my joists like what hammer did, but then I worry about not being able to detect water damage, termite intrusion, etc., until it is too late.

I think Popular Mechanic had an article about installing XPS blocks with caulking so that a homeowner can periodically peel off a number of panels for inspection.

Are you guys all sealing off rim bands/joists?
allthumbsdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:22 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,022

sealing the rim joist

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubborn1 View Post
My understanding is that the spray foam can't be left exposed to a living space for code reasons. The material gives off some nasty fumes/smoke in the event of the fire and must be covered with a thermal fire barrier - foil facing, layer of gyp board, other coating, etc.

Back to the OP's question: is that insulation to the right side of the photo? Hard to tell from the close up. Caulking the rim joist to concrete shouldn't cause any ill effects. I did the same thing in my basement before finishing it. On a cold windy day, I walked around feeling for drafts and sealed any joints where I had excessive infiltration.
per the 2009 International Residential Code:
R316.5.11 Sill plates and headers.Foam plastic shall be permitted to be spray applied to a sill plate and header without the thermal barrier specified in Section R316.4 subject to all of the following: 1. The maximum thickness of the foam plastic shall be 31/4 inches (83 mm). 2. The density of the foam plastic shall be in the range of 0.5 to 2.0 pounds per cubic foot (8 to 32 kg/m3). 3. The foam plastic shall have a flame spread index of 25 or less and an accompanying smoke developed index of 450 or less when tested in accordance with ASTM E 84.hope that helps

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote