Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-21-2011, 09:31 AM   #1

Share |

Sealing post with paint on bedliner. Your thoughts?

I am building a pole barn in a fairly wet area of bottom land. I was thinking about painting the post with the new bed liner that they have available far added protection. What do you think about this? And by fairly I mean very wet!!!!!!

markcrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:22 AM   #2

Never heard of it being done. Does that stuff even stick to wood?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AGWhitehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:34 AM   #3
fabrk8r

What post? Posts that support the structure?

If they are support columns I'd prefer that they stayed out of the ground, and standing water, by attaching them atop a concrete footing that goes from below the frost line to above the water line.

You have to remember that if you seal wood so water can't get in, it will also prevent moisture from escaping if any does happen to get behind the sealant.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:34 AM   #4
Experienced

As Fab stated, if its that wet install Sonitubes to complete a concrete foundation below the frost line and then fasten the post on top so you don't expose the wood to excessive moisture.

But to answer the question I wouldn't use a product designed for steel truck bed on a wood post buried in the ground, products are designed per thier functionality, using it outside its intended application will yeild unknown results.

Given the implecations of failure I would not risk the unknown.

Mark
Old 08-22-2011, 10:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrk8r View Post
What post? Posts that support the structure?

If they are support columns I'd prefer that they stayed out of the ground, and standing water, by attaching them atop a concrete footing that goes from below the frost line to above the water line.

You have to remember that if you seal wood so water can't get in, it will also prevent moisture from escaping if any does happen to get behind the sealant.
I had considered that but then I have to concern myself with the building racking unless I use diagonal bracing. I'm also poor as a field mouse. I'm sure it will stick to wood and I had seen a company that sells 4x6 posts with a plastic dipped end. Thats what gave me the idea.
markcrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:36 AM   #6
Mod

You could just tar the bottom portion of the post. Even if it would work that bed liner stuff isn’t cheap.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:40 AM   #7
JOATMON

Have you consdered using post brackets in the concrete? Simpson makes a lot if different styles.

You embed that in the concrete....once the concrete is cured, you attach your posts. That way, if a post goes bad on you...easy to replace.

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote