Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-18-2009, 07:15 AM   #1
Non stop DIY'er!

Rewards Points: 75

Sealing outside brick

Before I finished the basement, I had the builder seal up some cracks that were leaking, but what was leaking the most was where the bricks end at the (not sure of the term) board above the foundation. It seemed to only leak where the metal tabs came through (not sure what those are called either).There are cleanouts every 6 feet or so in the morter between bricks outside. Those were all cleaned out, with no sucess. The builder came out to look and said all he could do was seal the bricks on the whole side of the house because the water is soaking in and not draining off. That was a few years ago, and it worked, but now I have the same problem. The house is 10 years old now and I'm not interested in finding the builder again. What is the best, longest lasting clear sealer I can use on the bricks?

Thanks

bajaboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:01 AM   #2
Non stop DIY'er!

Sealing outside brick

A-Tech Masonry & Brick Sealer Water-based Silane/Siloxane Water Repellent.
Found this from Applied Tech, which is in my area.
Anyone used it?
Results?
Can't find how long they say it lasts.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:10 AM   #3
Non stop DIY'er!

Sealing outside brick

5 year warranty.
I still can't believe I let this builder get away from this. My basement is finished, ceilings too, so I know they would want to look at where I know it's leaking. They've seen it and came up with sealing it the first time. Must be some shotty masonry work? All the morter joints are filled, nothing missing. Sorry to keep posting before someone else, but it's just getting to me.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:46 PM   #4
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Sealing outside brick

Silane/Siloxane is a standard material for waterproofing masonry. It eventually leaches out and has to be redone. Follow the manufacturers recommendation for the amount to apply per square foot. Don't try to stretch it. Stay away from the home center waterproofing junk. Most of it is just solvent suspended silicone, which is good for only a short period of time.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:50 PM   #5
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Sealing outside brick

Also, those clean outs aren't really clean outs, they are weeps. If the wall is built properly, any condensation on the inside of the brick should drip down and get out of the wall through those weeps. The rest of the structure should be protected by a through wall flashing hidden inside the wall at the level of the weeps.Very important not to block those or allow wasps, etc. to close them up.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:27 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Sealing outside brick

where were/are the cracks ? ? ? its very unusual for a brick wall to leak in your example,,, i'd suspect its coming thru the bsmt wall rather'n on top of the wall ( sill ),,, siloxane's good but requires bi-annual application ( wait - is bi-annual OR semi-annual defined as 2yrs ? ? ? )
yesitsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:40 PM   #7
Non stop DIY'er!

Sealing outside brick

The cracks were in the foundation. The leaks, after those were fixed, were coming between the sill and the foundation top, right where these metal tabs are. Could see it come in before finishing the basement, and the leak now is in the same area, only when a hard rain hits that side of my house. It could rain 3 inches right now and I would have no leaks, but if the wind is blowing it from the East, against that side, It will leak.
I clean those weep holes out a few times a year, based on the problems I've had, so they are always clear. Only when that side of the house gets soaked with water will I get a leak.
Thanks
Old 02-23-2009, 06:20 AM   #8
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Sealing outside brick

Sounds like maybe the through wall flashing at the base of the brick isn't constructed properly or isn't continuous. Sounds like wind pressure is pushing the water back into the wall past that flashing. You could take out one brick at the base of the wall and look inside to see what the conditions are.