Sealing An IC Halo Light - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-19-2010, 08:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Sealing an IC Halo Light

Is it possible to seal the holes of a IC halo light. I was thinking of using spray foam to cover the holes since they say you can place insulation around them. Will this cause a fire hazard? The problem is I have the cellulose insulation leaking through the holes and making my house very dusty. Thank you for any advice.

Advertisement

teachtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Sealing an IC Halo Light

Yes so iC rated can come into contact with the insulation but the holes do allow venting to cool the light fixture. Is this in an attic that you have access to? Why not remove the cullulose from around the fixture, put in a small batt of insulation (r11 or r13) and then place the cellulose back over that. Just an idea.

When I am doing blown in I used sealed fixtures or the batt trick.

Advertisement

wnabcptrNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:40 PM   #3
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Sealing an IC Halo Light

yes spray foam completely around the light can and use caulking around the trim. Air leakage around these fixtures contributes to major heat losses, moisture the attic
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:53 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Sealing an IC Halo Light

Both ideas sound very good. Do you think the spray foam can stand up to the heat. Thank you for your suggestions.
teachtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:59 PM   #5

Sealing an IC Halo Light

Insulation can withstand heat and cold so it should be fine but i would check at what point it may melt. Some lights can get very hot.

Also I would suggest closed cell and not open cell spray foam if you go that route.
wnabcptrNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:11 PM   #6
Remodeling Contractor

Sealing an IC Halo Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachtech View Post
Both ideas sound very good. Do you think the spray foam can stand up to the heat. Thank you for your suggestions.
it can but to be safe use the fire retarding type. And if you are not using a dimmer you can use CFL lamps which will not produce any significant heat
Old 02-20-2010, 11:58 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

Sealing an IC Halo Light

They might make metal boxes for those things which would provide some clearance.
Stillwerkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:09 AM   #8
General Contractor

Sealing an IC Halo Light

In theory Halo IC cans have a "thermal protector" which should kick in if the fixture overheats.

Also in theory, you could buy an air tight can instead, although it seems obvious that a foamed blanket would be the ultimate air tight seal. I have just used the AT cans and called it good enough, but maybe not.

My added question would be: with the IC only (non AT) can, would foam penetrate the holes in the can and present a risk because the foam is inside the can instead of just in contact with the exterior?

Might consider emailing HALO for an answer? It would be great to see a reply from them posted here.

The fall back basic "great stuff" from Dow: "The cured foam is combustible. Do not expose to temperatures above 240F (116C)."

I am curious what the details/specs are for the actual UL standard:
"For fixtures to be considered IC-Rated they must be approved for zero clearance insulation cover (IC) by an OSHA NRTL laboratory."

Interesting thread.
Rory Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:33 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 500

Sealing an IC Halo Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachtech View Post
Is it possible to seal the holes of a IC halo light. I was thinking of using spray foam to cover the holes since they say you can place insulation around them. Will this cause a fire hazard? The problem is I have the cellulose insulation leaking through the holes and making my house very dusty. Thank you for any advice.
Many IC rated recessed fixtures state IC rated for direct contact with non-cellulose insulation.

Air tight rating still allows a small amount of air infiltraion.

I do not think Halo will sign off on the foam solution.

"goal is to keep the dust out"

Consider Building a box out of drywall to fit around the can in the attic..
caulk... to top side of drywall and framing members..
cheap... easy... safe... you could buy a firerated cover, but those are
priceeee, overkill and not required by code for your application...unless you are in a multi story condo..

Stay safe
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:34 AM   #10

Sealing an IC Halo Light

Stolen idea but: I use those cheap foam coolers over mine. Easier to cut for wiring and other obstructions...then foam the gaps. Makes a great seal.
RoyalAcresRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:06 PM   #11
Remodeling Contractor

Sealing an IC Halo Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalAcresRod View Post
Stolen idea but: I use those cheap foam coolers over mine. Easier to cut for wiring and other obstructions...then foam the gaps. Makes a great seal.
foam is illegal and unsafe. Foam around IC cans is best and drywall boxes with metal duct tape are the way to do it correctly for non ic cans. Foam in the holes can easily be poked out after the foam cures. There is not issue with doing either of these. It is part of the required fixes we do under the BPI rules and many state energy retro fitting quidelines.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:08 PM   #12

Sealing an IC Halo Light

I have the same problem, although I'm more concerned with air infiltration. Couldn't the can just be wrapped with fiberglass duct wrap and duct taped? The sell small rolls at the box stores. I'm thinking about just making a small box out of duct board to go around it and sealing it with mastic. Does anyone see a problem with this?
pomelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:19 AM   #13
Remodeling Contractor

Sealing an IC Halo Light

fiber glass is not an air barrier. you are attempting to air seal the pressure boundary at the ceiling, only correct way to do this is a drywall box taped and sealed with spray foam.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:47 AM   #14
Wolf

Rewards Points: 25

Sealing an IC Halo Light

I live in Minnesota so reducing air filtration pays dividends. After talking to several sources, I decided to seal my IC recessed fixtures two ways. First, to seal the metal-to-metal parts of the fixture that have small gaps before installation, I use silicone sealant. It doesn't take very much, is easy to apply correctly, and has a very high flammability point. Second, after installing the fixture (I'm doing all reno installations), I use fire-rated foam because it fills gaps better and is easier to apply. When I use the previous suggestion of building an enclosure for the fixture, I also use fire-rated foam to seal the box on the attic side.
ralphfravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:50 PM   #15

Sealing an IC Halo Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mariani View Post
fiber glass is not an air barrier. you are attempting to air seal the pressure boundary at the ceiling, only correct way to do this is a drywall box taped and sealed with spray foam.
What do you mean? Fiberglass duct board is used in duct systems.

Advertisement

Last edited by pomelo; 02-27-2010 at 09:52 PM.
pomelo is offline   Reply With Quote