Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-31-2011, 08:59 PM   #1

Share |

Sealing a Concrete Garage

Hello All,

I have a detached concrete brick garage, and when it rains, the concrete bricks soak up the water and leak on the inside of the garage around the base of each wall. With all the rain we've had this year my garage has been wet a lot. Is there a sealer or epoxy I can apply to the outside walls of the garage that will waterproof the concrete bricks?

Thanks!

wkumtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:04 AM   #2

wouldn't expect so much wtr soaking thru conc bricks ( btw, what ARE they - sure you don't mean 8"x16" concrete block ? ) you don't say IF the blocks are above OR below grade - try this stuff - http://www.amesresearch.com/ - [ no financial interest ]

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:38 PM   #3

Yes, it is 8x16 concrete blocks. Water does soak through because when it rains the blocks are wet inside the garage. Thanks for the advice, I'll check it out.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:29 AM   #4

not so fast, grasshopper are the wet leaking blocks on the lower courses or below the level of the outside ground ? difficult to think the blocks would be that porous & still be able to support the weight of upper blocks & roof structure,,, you might just need a block filler (sher-wms, duron ) if they're bare block,,, obviously remove/drain any standing wtr, too

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:26 AM   #5
Concrete & Masonry

If it's just the bottom course or two, non-fibered foundation coating (tar) would probably do the trick if there aren't any large gaps. If it's taller and will be more visible there are plenty of water resistant paints on the market to fill it with.
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:33 PM   #6

The blocks get wet at the top and middle of the wall inside the garage. This is just concrete block walls, no paint, no drywall on the inside. The blocks have the 2 hollow sections in them. When it rains the entire wall from the roof to the floor gets wet. The roof is not leaking (just replaced last year).
Old 06-03-2011, 05:01 PM   #7
NACE Coating Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkumtrider View Post
The blocks get wet at the top and middle of the wall inside the garage. This is just concrete block walls, no paint, no drywall on the inside. The blocks have the 2 hollow sections in them. When it rains the entire wall from the roof to the floor gets wet. The roof is not leaking (just replaced last year).
i would double check that roof leak. just because it was replaced last year doesnt meant that it cant be leaking. that would be odd that they would be getting wet that high up on the wall unless you have hard driving rains eveytime it rains. do all of the walls leak, or is it the same wall? i live in florida where we get those kind of hard rains a lot, and i have seen this happen on block walls after a few days of saturation. the water usually comes through a few courses down the wall because of the driving direction of the rain vs. the roof over hang protecting the top portion of the wall. the times that i would see water at the top courses of block was in new construction before the roof was dried in. (roof leak)
mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:46 PM   #8
Concrete & Masonry

You should really look into the roof situation, depending on what you have for an overhang, as Mike stated above. If you can rule that out, I'd consider using a waterproofing masonry paint on the OUTSIDE only. Let the interior be bare block, so the moisture has a way out of the block.
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:51 AM   #9

I know it is not the roof. Its been checked more than once in the rain. I'm going to try a sealer and go from there.