Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-01-2011, 06:33 PM   #1

Share |

Sealing Concrete

I'm going to be sealing my concrete driveway and patio soon and was wondering if anyone had any brands of sealer they would recommend. Also I was wondering if anyone had any input on the below questions. The colored stamped concrete was done about 60 days ago.

Should I use a water based sealer or a solvent based sealer?

Should I mix in some slip resistant grip in the sealer?

Can you add color to sealer to slightly change the color?

Any help would be appreciated.

bsmith95610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:46 PM   #2

Sealing Concrete

I've used several brands over the years and unfortunately my opinion is that they are all the same. There is some company in Australia that apparently is "the best" but I can't remember their name... Something like si-2 or some chemical sounding name. I was able to get a sample and it seemed the same to me.

mchugh2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:13 AM   #3

Sealing Concrete

its difficult to beat eliteCrete's methyl-methacrylate reinforced ' CSS ',,, we apply 2 coats cut 1.5xylene:1 css w/1hr reapply window,,, solvent-based sealers are generally heavier-duty than water-based,,, we use sher-wms tints to color sealers

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:49 PM   #4
Concrete & Masonry

Sealing Concrete

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith95610 View Post
I'm going to be sealing my concrete driveway and patio soon and was wondering if anyone had any brands of sealer they would recommend. Also I was wondering if anyone had any input on the below questions. The colored stamped concrete was done about 60 days ago.

Didn't the contractor apply the first sealer already? If so, you need to know what they put on to make sure it's complimentary.

Should I use a water based sealer or a solvent based sealer?

Solvent ALWAYS works better on stamped concrete IMO.

Should I mix in some slip resistant grip in the sealer?

If it's currently unsealed, first coat directly out of pail, second coat get's "grip" added to it.

Can you add color to sealer to slightly change the color?

Yes, but I'd suggest doing some test sampling first.

Any help would be appreciated.
As for a brand, I've used several with similar results. I'd suggest going to a local ready-mix supplier to see what brands they carry. I've never seen a sealer available at a retail store that was worth the gamble of vandalizing a beautiful job over.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 03:12 PM   #5
NACE Coating Inspector

Sealing Concrete

jomama45 answered everything very well. not knowing your location makes it pretty difficult to suggest a specific product. im not a big fan of the H&C products sold at home depot and sherwin williams. some places i would look into would be PPG/Porter paints, ultracrete, sure crete design and probably the product mentioned by itsreallyconc above
mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:02 PM   #6

Sealing Concrete

Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to buy it from a concrete store in the Sacramento area called Spec-West. They have a solvent based High Gloss sealer. I'm going to try adding in the no slip stuff in the 2nd coat like you suggested. Thanks for this tips I appreciate it.
bsmith95610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:47 PM   #7

Sealing Concrete

I'm interested in the same thing and looked up eliteCrete. I was wondering if you could provide an average, ballpark, estimate for a 2 car driveway that's about 40 or so feet long. Are we talking hundreds or thousands to do this?

Thanks!

wiz561 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
concrete, sealer