Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-21-2009, 11:31 AM   #1

Share |

sealing around copper water supply line

Water is leaking into my basement around the copper water supply line that comes in thru a poured concrete foundation wall. I am addressing the grading and drainage on the exterior of the house and I am going to seal around the copper pipe. I have consulted with two well credentialed companies; one recommends polyurethane injection and the other recommends bentonite clay. I have tried to thoroughly research both products but I am not having luck with determining which will adhere best to the copper pipe which expands and contracts. Has anyone out there had a similar situation and what product did you end up going with? How long has it been and is it holding up well or deteriorating? Thanks.

dazedanconfused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:00 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Ayuh,... Just plain ole Grout...

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:30 PM   #3
Civil Engineer

I do not understand your comment about the copper pipe expanding and contracting. If you are on well water, the temperature of the water will be essentially constant year round, i.e. no change in the dimensions of the copper pipe. If you are on city water, there will be minimal change in temperature of the water, same conclusion about explansion of the pipe. The only way that pipe will undergo significant change in dimension is if you lose all the water in it, not likely.

That said, you can seal with grout, clay, polyurethane, or expanding foam (Great Stuff). I like expanding foam, easy to seal the entire annulus around the pipe. It does not matter if the product adheres to the pipe, as long as it fills all the space, it will be watertight. I used foam on a two inch sump pump line through an 8 inch concrete wall, has worked fine for 15 years. I also sealed one line using hydraulic cement, that worked well also.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:18 AM   #4

Careful Daniel, I used the word annulus the other day in another thread and they dogpiled on me for it. The word gap might have been more their speed I guess!

I'd use hydraulic cement (hydroplug). It is an excellent waterstop for this application.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:55 AM   #5

ANNULUS AGAIN ? ? ? exterior we'd use couple layers of roofing cement & pvc sheeting,,, interior, injectible polyurethane hydrophyllic grout,,, even tho the other respected posters describe success, i've seen too many failures,,, great stuff's a better choice than hydraulic to me.

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote