Sealing Around Concrete Form Openings - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-25-2009, 01:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Sealing around concrete form openings

I'm about to pour some concrete for a small wall footing. I have run some piping (landscape irrigation PVC piping as well as electrical conduit - gray PVC) through openings in the form and these will be embedded inside the footing. I'm wondering how best to seal around the gaps between the hole for the piping in the forms and the pipe itself to prevent wet concrete from seeping out during the pour. Would some outdoor silicone be sufficient or should I be looking at something stronger.

Advertisement

blue_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:29 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,262

Ayuh,... Don't bother... It won't seep much anyways, the aggregate will plug it up...

Advertisement

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:42 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,010

If its a big hole, some tin screwed to the inside form would work, or 1/4" ply. Usually, you set a section of pipe cut to the wall or footing form thickness with nails through the outside form to hold it in place. After removing the forms, install a smaller size pipe through the concreted one.
Be safe, Gary
Old 11-25-2009, 04:20 PM   #4
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

If it's for a footer, nobody will see it. If you make it too tight, you just make the forms harder to get off. Unless the holes are way over cut, it won't make a difference. The concrete won't leak out very much.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 07:40 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

Okay thanks for the replies. It is not overcut by much - about 1/4". I'm not concerned about the look since nobody will see it. I was more concerned about too much concrete seeping out and affecting the level but I guess the aggregate will plug it up anyway.
blue_can is offline   Reply With Quote