Seal Siding To Concrete Wall? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-06-2011, 04:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Seal Siding to Concrete Wall?

I'm having some trouble with water coming through a finished wall in the basement.

The outside is exposed concrete wall (the house is on a hill has a walk-out basement. The wall that's leaking is the side right next to the patio door at the bottom of the house).

The wall has kind of a stair stepped shape for the concrete, so that at the back of the house the side concrete wall comes up about 4' and is wood above that. When I moved in, there wasn't anything covering the wood and typar, it was just exposed, so I had some vinyl siding guys add siding to that part of the wall.

Now just in the last few weeks, whenever we get a big rain, I end up with water inside. I'm not sure why just in the last few weeks, but we have had a few unusually heavy, short rain storms.

After a bit of investigative work, I went outside and just sprayed a hose on the concrete wall where the concrete meets the siding. Some of that water ends up on the inside.

I'm wondering what the problem is here. Should there be caulk where the vinyl meets the concrete? That seems like an obvious fix but I have no idea if it's the right one.

I've attached a picture. In the picture you can see the vinyl that's covering the step in the concrete wall - if I spray the house where the arrow is pointing, that's how water gets in.

Thanks
-- Steve
Attached Images

Advertisement

stevex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:14 PM   #2
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,478

The primary protection for keeping the water out of your house isn’t the vinyl siding it’s the weather barrier and flashing details behind the siding.

Obviously either something has either failed of wasn’t installed correctly to begin with.

You need to remove the panels on that section of the wall to figure out what’s going on and then correct it.

You can caulk all you want but that at best the caulking is just a Band-Aid and will solve nothing.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
Gary in WA (08-06-2011)
Old 08-07-2011, 07:04 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Ok so my question then is what's supposed to be there?

What is it that should be preventing water from running along the concrete, behind the siding and down the inside of the concrete wall?
stevex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:46 AM   #4
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,478

Where the pony wall meets the foundation I run the weather barrier to the edge and cap that and the edge of the plywood and WB with a metal flashing material then seal that seam with a polyurethane based sealant.

Only after I’m confident that joint is sealed and won’t leak will I install the siding.